Elastic collision of particles

In summary, the problem involves conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations to solve for the final velocity of one of the objects involved. The variables are defined and substituted into the equations, resulting in a single equation with one unknown. However, incorrect algebraic manipulation has led to incorrect answers and further attempts are needed to solve the problem accurately.
jaeeeger

Homework Statement

dNW7t.png

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum, m1v1i+m2v2i=m1v1f+m2v2f

and

conservation of KE, ½m1v1i^2+½m2v2i^2=½m1v1f^2+½m2v2f^2

The Attempt at a Solution

first, i defined my variables. v1i=-v2i, v1f=-0.750v1i, v1f=0.750v2i

I tried isolating V2f using the conservation of momentum equation, getting V2f=[-m1v2i+m2v2i-m1(0.750v2i)]/m2.

Then I use the conservation of kinetic energy equation and plug in my new v2f value. expand it out, then try to simply everything to get an answer for m2. I'm really bad at long and complicated algebra, I often cancel out items I'm not allowed to, and don't cancel out when I should. I've tried around 7-8 times now, all with varying answers, none of them right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Jaeeeger!
I'm just an old high school teacher - used to keeping the notation simple. It might be worth a try that way. Rather than V2f, I used "W" for the final velocity of the nm.
For conservation of momentum I wrote mv - nmv = -.75mv + nmW (1)
For conservation of energy (cancelling all the 1/2's right off):
mv² + nmv² = m(.75v)² + nmW² (2)
It doesn't looks so bad that way, does it? Cancel all the m's to make it even better. I solved (1) for W and substituted into (2) to get an equation in one unknown.

If you type in your work here (or scan and upload), we will make sure you get it right.
For the ² symbol, just copy one of mine and paste in your post.
More symbols to copy here: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=346

Last edited by a moderator:
jaeeeger said:
I've tried around 7-8 times now, all with varying answers, none of them right.
If you know the correct answer, it is a good idea to provide it so others working along can verify they are on the right track.

NascentOxygen said:
If you know the correct answer, it is a good idea to provide it so others working along can verify they are on the right track.

The homework is online, I just know if I get it wrong.

Delphi51 said:
Welcome to PF, Jaeeeger!
I'm just an old high school teacher - used to keeping the notation simple. It might be worth a try that way. Rather than V2f, I used "W" for the final velocity of the nm.
For conservation of momentum I wrote mv - nmv = -.75mv + nmW (1)
For conservation of energy (cancelling all the 1/2's right off):
mv² + nmv² = m(.75v)² + nmW² (2)
It doesn't looks so bad that way, does it? Cancel all the m's to make it even better. I solved (1) for W and substituted into (2) to get an equation in one unknown.

If you type in your work here (or scan and upload), we will make sure you get it right.
For the ² symbol, just copy one of mine and paste in your post.
More symbols to copy here: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=346

Okay thanks for the help. I'm fairly sure I just screwed up my algebra somewhere, I get n=-1, which is wrong.

I solved (1) for W, then plugged that into the conservation of energy.
My algebra just isn't as hot as it used to be.
4J5D7l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to first commend you for attempting to solve this problem using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. These principles are fundamental in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in collisions.

To solve this problem, I would suggest breaking it down into smaller steps. First, let's define the variables:

m1 = mass of particle 1
m2 = mass of particle 2
v1i = initial velocity of particle 1
v2i = initial velocity of particle 2
v1f = final velocity of particle 1
v2f = final velocity of particle 2

Next, let's use the conservation of momentum equation to solve for v2f:

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f
Since we know that v1i = -v2i and v1f = -0.750v1i, we can substitute them in the equation:

m1(-v2i) + m2v2i = m1(-0.750v1i) + m2v2f
Simplifying:

-m1v2i + m2v2i = -0.750m1v1i + m2v2f
Combining like terms:

(m2-m1)v2i = (-0.750m1)v1i + m2v2f
Dividing both sides by (m2-m1):

v2i = (-0.750m1/m2-m1)v1i + (m2/m2-m1)v2f

Now, we can use the conservation of kinetic energy equation to solve for v2f:

½m1v1i^2 + ½m2v2i^2 = ½m1v1f^2 + ½m2v2f^2
Substituting in our known values:

½m1(-v2i)^2 + ½m2v2i^2 = ½m1(-0.750v1i)^2 + ½m2v2f^2
Simplifying:

½m1v2i^2 + ½m2v2i^2 = 0.5625m1v1i^2 + ½m2v2f^2
Combining like terms:

(0.5m1

1. What is an elastic collision of particles?

An elastic collision of particles is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy of the particles before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the total energy of the system remains constant.

3. What is the equation for calculating the velocities of particles after an elastic collision?

The equation for the velocities of particles after an elastic collision is: v1f = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2) * v1i + (2*m2)/(m1+m2) * v2i and v2f = (2*m1)/(m1+m2) * v1i + (m2-m1)/(m1+m2) * v2i, where v1f and v2f are the final velocities of particles 1 and 2, m1 and m2 are the masses of particles 1 and 2, and v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of particles 1 and 2.

4. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two cars colliding head-on and bouncing off each other, and a tennis ball hitting a wall and bouncing back.

5. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. A higher coefficient of restitution means that the collision is more elastic and there is less loss of kinetic energy. A lower coefficient of restitution means that the collision is less elastic and more energy is lost. Therefore, the coefficient of restitution can affect the outcome of an elastic collision by determining the amount of kinetic energy that is conserved.