Elastic curve of cantilever beam

In summary, the conversation discusses using the method of integration to determine the elastic curve for a beam and calculate the total deflection at a specific point. The conversation also addresses how to calculate the moment diagram and whether or not to include support reactions in the calculation. Finally, it mentions using boundary conditions to determine the constant of integration and obtaining the deflection at the free end.
chris54

Homework Statement

Using method of integration, determine the elastic curve for the beam and calculate the total deflection at a point A (end) of the beam. Use EI as a constant.
See word document attached with diagram.

Homework Equations

EIV''(x) = - M(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to integrate to get the deflection formula but I'm not sure how to calculate M(x) with the moment at the free end.
Is it M(x) = -w/2(L-x)^2 + M(a)(x/L)
or M(x) = -w/2(L-x)^2 + M(a)

Why do some problems in my textbook (Mechanics of materials, Gere) include the support reactions in M(x) and others don't? Do I need to include the support the reactions?

Also will my answer be in meters e.g. v = 100m/EI ?

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Cantilever beam.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
If there's a moment on the free end of the beam, the moment diagram M(x) is constant, right? You can set your coordinate system with a positive direction from the free end to the fixed end, and then use integration to determine w(x). You need a boundary condition to find the constant of integration, which actually equals the deflection at the free end.

Thanks for the reply.

So it will be M(x) = -w/2(L-x)^2 + M(a) ?
It's for an assignment and the question is given with the origin of the coordinate system at the fixed end, so I can't change it. The boundary conditions are v'(0) = 0 and v(0) = 0, so both constants will be zero and I should get:

EIv''(x) = (wL^2)/2 - Lwx + (wx^2)/2 - M(a)
EIv'(x) = (wLx)/2 - (wlx^2)/2 + (wx^3)/6 - M(a)x
EIv(x) = (wlx^2)/4 - (wlx^3)/6 + (wx^4)/24 - (M(a)x^2)/2

The last one will be the elastic curve and then I just sub all the values in, with x=L and I will get the deflection at the free end. Does that sound right?

Related to Elastic curve of cantilever beam

1. What is the elastic curve of a cantilever beam?

The elastic curve of a cantilever beam refers to the deflection or bending of the beam when subjected to an external load. It is a graphical representation of the relationship between the applied load and the resulting deflection at various points along the beam.

2. How is the elastic curve of a cantilever beam calculated?

The elastic curve of a cantilever beam can be calculated using the principles of structural mechanics, specifically the equations of static equilibrium and the flexural formula. These calculations take into account the beam's material properties, dimensions, and loading conditions.

3. What factors affect the elastic curve of a cantilever beam?

The elastic curve of a cantilever beam is affected by several factors, including the beam's material properties (such as modulus of elasticity and yield strength), its cross-sectional shape and dimensions, the magnitude and location of the applied load, and the support conditions at the free end of the beam.

4. How does the elastic curve of a cantilever beam change with increasing load?

The elastic curve of a cantilever beam increases with increasing load, as the beam undergoes more deflection under the applied load. The relationship between load and deflection is typically non-linear, with the deflection increasing at a faster rate as the load approaches the beam's maximum load capacity.

5. What is the significance of the elastic curve of a cantilever beam in structural design?

The elastic curve of a cantilever beam is an important consideration in structural design, as it helps engineers determine the beam's maximum load capacity and ensure that it can withstand the expected loads without failure. It also allows for optimization of beam dimensions and material selection to meet design requirements and minimize deflection under load.