Electric arc: How to calculate the required voltage for a light bow?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the required voltage to produce an electric arc between two iron nails with a distance of 3cm. The speaker mentions that they read on the internet that 1 kV per mm is needed, but they are unsure how to calculate this value. The moderator then asks about the speaker's experience with high voltages.
Hans42
<Moderator's note: Moved from a homework forum.>

Calculate the required voltage to produce a electric arc between 2 iron nails (distance: 3cm).

I´ve read in the internet that you need 1 kV per mm. But how can I calculate this value, that I need 1kV per 1mm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hans42 said:
<Moderator's note: Moved from a homework forum.>

Calculate the required voltage to produce a electric arc between 2 iron nails (distance: 3cm).

I´ve read in the internet that you need 1 kV per mm. But how can I calculate this value, that I need 1kV per 1mm?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

See if this helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law

What is your background in working with high voltages?

1. What is an electric arc?

An electric arc is a discharge of electricity that occurs between two electrodes, usually in a gas or air medium. It produces a bright light and intense heat.

2. How is an electric arc formed?

An electric arc is formed when a high enough voltage is applied between two electrodes, causing the gas or air between them to ionize and conduct electricity.

3. How do you calculate the required voltage for a light bow?

The required voltage for a light bow can be calculated using the formula V = (I x R) + (I x r), where V is the voltage, I is the current, R is the resistance of the arc path, and r is the resistance of the electrodes.

4. What factors can affect the required voltage for a light bow?

The required voltage for a light bow can be affected by factors such as the type of gas or air medium, the distance between the electrodes, and the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment.

5. How can the required voltage for a light bow be adjusted?

The required voltage for a light bow can be adjusted by changing the distance between the electrodes, altering the gas or air medium, or adjusting the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment. It can also be adjusted by changing the current or resistance of the arc path or electrodes.