Draw a free body diagram for the electric force

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Coulomb's law to find the magnitude of the electric force between three charges: Q1=7.4uC, Q2=-9.7uC, and Q3=2.1uC located at points X1=-2m, X2=3m, and X3=9m respectively. The conversation also mentions drawing a free body diagram and using the rule that opposite charges attract and like charges repel to determine the direction of the force. It is important to note that the charges are measured in micro coulombs and the unit for the force is N m^2 / C^2.
Cglez1280

Homework Statement

A positive charge Q1=7.4uC is located at a point X1=-2 m, a negative charge Q2=-9.7uC is located at a point X2=3m and a positive Q3=2.1uC is located at a point X3=9
A. Draw a free body diagram for the electric force acting on Q1, Q2, and Q3.
B. Find the magnitude of the force between Q1 and Q2
So like I have no idea what to do I'm completely lost this is ap physics summer work and I've never taken a physics class and this is just plain confusing

Not sure what would help.
Q1=-7.5 uC
Q2=-9.7 uC
Q3=2.1 uC
X1=-2 m
X2=3 m
X3=9 m

Homework Equations

I don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry but all I have is numbers that i don't know what to do with

Physics news on Phys.org
The total force acting on a body is the sum of all the forces acting on the body due to all other particles. If you know Coulomb's law this will help drawing the free body diagrams. Make sure you know the definition of a free body diagram. If you can add vectors, you can sum forces, since forces are represented by vectors.

Last edited:
Lucas SV said:
The total force acting on a body is the sum of all the forces acting on the body due to all other particles. If you know Coulumb's law this will help drawing the free body diagrams. Make sure you know the definition of a free body diagram. If you can add vectors, you can sum forces, since forces are represented by vectors.
Ok sorry to add that I already drew the free body diagrams but after that I'm confused.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 948
Next step is applying Coulomb's law to find the forces between particles. You can start for example, by computing ##F_{12}##. You need to know the charges ##Q_1## and ##Q_2##, as well as the distance between these two charges.

Last edited:
Lucas SV said:
Next step is applying Coulumb's law to find the forces between particles. You can start for example, by computing ##F_{12}##. You need to know the charges ##Q_1## and ##Q_2##, as well as the distance between these two charges.
Ok so how would I do the distance. Since X1 is at -2m and X2 is at 3m would it be 5? Sorry for the dumb questions I'm just trying to make sure I can do the next few parts without help

Cglez1280 said:
Since X1 is at -2m and X2 is at 3m would it be 5?
Correct! Actually more precisely you should put 5m. Always make sure you put units in physical calculations.

Lucas SV said:
Correct! Actually more precisely you should put 5m. Always make sure you put units in physical calculations.
Ok I've been looking at Coloumb's law and it says k would be 9*10^9 N, is that right in this case because every time I do the math I get some other number from the answer I'm supposed to get.

Cglez1280 said:
9*10^9 N
Actually the unit is N m^2 / C^2.

Are the answers you got the same as the solution up to a power of 10?

Lucas SV said:
Actually the unit is N m^2 / C^2.

Are the answers you got the same as the solution up to a power of 10?
So the picture shows my work and the answer I'm supposed to get is 2.58*10^-2. I'm not sure what I did wrong

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 584
Cglez1280 said:
2.58*10^-2.
You made the mistake I thought you did. The charges are measured in micro coulombs, ##\mu C##. You forgot about the micro. Watch out those units.

Last edited:
Lucas SV said:
You made the mistake I thought you did. The charges are measured in micro coulumbs - ##\mu C##. You forgot about the micro. Watch out those units.
Lucas SV said:
You made the mistake I thought you did. The charges are measured in micro coulumbs - ##\mu C##. You forgot about the micro. Watch out those units.
Hmm ok I see. But would the negative sign be dropped in my work because that seems to be an issue also. Another question is what would I do when I'm asked for the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on charge Q1?

Cglez1280 said:
But would the negative sign be dropped in my work because that seems to be an issue also.
The negative sign is dropped precisely because question B asks for the magnitude of the force. The magnitude of a force is always non-negative, so you take the absolute value.
Cglez1280 said:
Another question is what would I do when I'm asked for the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on charge Q1?
I already explained magnitude. The direction can be seen from your free body diagram and can be found by the rule: opposite charges attract and like charges repel.

Lucas SV said:
The negative sign is dropped precisely because question B asks for the magnitude of the force. The magnitude of a force is always non-negative, so you take the absolute value.

I already explained magnitude. The direction can be seen from your free body diagram and can be found by the rule: opposite charges attract and like charges repel.
Oh my god just when I get magnitude the last part completely lost me.

Cglez1280 said:
Oh my god just when I get magnitude the last part completely lost me.
If the force is attractive, the force vector of charge 1 will be pointing towards charge 2. If the force is repulsive, the force vector of charge 1 will be pointing away from charge 2. The rule I just mentioned tells you if the force is attractive or repulsive.

Do you know what I meant by 'like' charges and 'opposite' charges?

Lucas SV said:
If the force is attractive, the force vector of charge 1 will be pointing towards charge 2. If the force is repulsive, the force vector of charge 1 will be pointing away from charge 2. The rule I just mentioned tells you if the force is attractive or repulsive.

Do you know what I meant by 'like' charges and 'opposite' charges?
So basically my answer for Q1 will be positive and Q2 and Q3 will be negative?
Is there a certain equation I should I use to be able to get my answer?

Cglez1280 said:
So basically my answer for Q1 will be positive and Q2 and Q3 will be negative?
The force on Q1 due to Q2 is positive because they attract and the coordinate of Q2 is higher than the coordinate Q1. This is in fact true regardless of how you choose to orient your x axis. If you choose to orient it to the right, Q2 will be to the right of Q1, and so will be the force on Q1 due to Q2. So the fact that the x-axis and the direction of the force have the same orientation makes the force positive. If instead you orient x to the left, Q2 will be to the left of Q1 (by definition of the position of Q1 and Q2).
Cglez1280 said:
Is there a certain equation I should I use to be able to get my answer?
It is the Coulomb law. The information about the direction of the force is contained in the law. Here is the equation for the coulomb force on ##q_1## due to ##q_2##, if ##q_1## is located at ##x_1## and ##q_2## is located at ##x_2##:
$$
F=k q_1 q_2 \frac{x_1-x_2}{|x_1-x_2|^3},
$$ where ##k## is the Coulomb's constant. It is easy to check that the magnitude of this equation yields what you probably used to compute the magnitude, while ##F## has the same direction obtained from the rules I gave.

The full law is actually written in terms of vectors in three dimensions. Note however that in your problem, the charges were collinear, which simplified the problem a lot, because you can neglect the extra dimensions and work in one dimension, by making sure that the x-axis intersects all three charges.

Last edited:

1. What is a free body diagram for the electric force?

A free body diagram for the electric force is a visual representation of the forces acting on a charged object in an electric field. It includes the magnitude and direction of the electric force as well as any other forces that may be present.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram for the electric force?

To draw a free body diagram for the electric force, first identify the charged object and its charge. Then, draw an arrow representing the electric force acting on the object, pointing in the direction of the electric field. Finally, add any other forces acting on the object, such as gravitational or frictional forces.

3. Why is it important to draw a free body diagram for the electric force?

Drawing a free body diagram for the electric force allows us to visualize the forces acting on a charged object and understand how they interact with each other. This can help us solve problems and make predictions about the motion of the object.

4. Can a free body diagram for the electric force change over time?

Yes, a free body diagram for the electric force can change over time if the electric field or the object's position or charge changes. It is important to update the diagram accordingly to accurately represent the forces acting on the object at any given moment.

5. Are there any limitations to drawing a free body diagram for the electric force?

One limitation of drawing a free body diagram for the electric force is that it only represents the forces acting on a specific object in an electric field. It does not take into account the influence of other objects or the object's own motion. Additionally, it assumes the object is a point charge and does not account for its size or shape.