Electric Charges Causing Centripetal Motion

In summary: My mistake was that I did not take into account the direction of the force, which is repulsive. Therefore, the correct answer is Q = 5.8 μC, as calculated previously. In summary, in order for the moving particle to execute circular motion, the value of Q must be 5.8 μC, taking into account the direction of the force.
mdf730

Homework Statement

A particle of charge Q is fixed at the origin of an xy coordinate system. At t = 0 a particle (m = 0.671 g, q = 5.90 µC is located on the x-axis at x = 15.6 cm, moving with a speed of 54.4 m/s in the positive y direction. For what value of Q (in μC) will the moving particle execute circular motion? (Neglect the gravitational force on the particle.)

Homework Equations

F=F
F=kqQ/r^2
F=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

F=F
kqQ/r^2=m(v^2)/r
kqQ=m(v^2)r
(8.99*10^9)(5.9*10^-6 C)(Q) = (.000671 kg)((54.4 m/s)^2)(.156 m)
53100 * Q = .30977
Q= .0000058337 C
Q= 5.8 μC

I have not been able to find my error, but I did something wrong, as the wileyplus marks it incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
mdf730 said:

Homework Statement

A particle of charge Q is fixed at the origin of an xy coordinate system. At t = 0 a particle (m = 0.671 g, q = 5.90 µC is located on the x-axis at x = 15.6 cm, moving with a speed of 54.4 m/s in the positive y direction. For what value of Q (in μC) will the moving particle execute circular motion? (Neglect the gravitational force on the particle.)

Homework Equations

F=F
F=kqQ/r^2
F=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

F=F
kqQ/r^2=m(v^2)/r
kqQ=m(v^2)r
(8.99*10^9)(5.9*10^-6 C)(Q) = (.000671 kg)((54.4 m/s)^2)(.156 m)
53100 * Q = .30977
Q= .0000058337 C
Q= 5.8 μC

I have not been able to find my error, but I did something wrong, as the wileyplus marks it incorrect.
Welcome to PF!

What is the direction of the force? (Hint: attractive or repulsive?).

AM

Ahh. Thank you!

1. How do electric charges cause centripetal motion?

Electric charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. When an object with an electric charge is placed in an electric field, it experiences a force that is perpendicular to both the direction of the electric field and the direction of the electric charge. This force causes the object to move in a circular path, creating centripetal motion.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path. In the case of electric charges, the centripetal force is created by the interaction between the electric charge and the electric field.

3. What is the relationship between electric charges and centripetal acceleration?

The centripetal acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the electric field strength and the magnitude of the electric charge. This means that the stronger the electric field or the larger the electric charge, the greater the centripetal acceleration will be.

4. Can centripetal motion be created without electric charges?

Yes, centripetal motion can be created without electric charges. It can also be created by other forces, such as gravity or tension in a string. However, in the case of electric charges, the centripetal force is created by the interaction of the electric charge with the electric field.

5. How is centripetal motion related to circular motion?

Centripetal motion is a type of circular motion in which an object moves in a circular path with a constant speed. The centripetal force acting on the object causes it to continuously change direction, resulting in circular motion. In the case of electric charges, the electric field creates the centripetal force that causes the circular motion.