Electric Circuit Analysis, Nodal Analysis and finding Voltage.

In summary, the conversation discusses two circuits and the use of nodal analysis to find the voltage at a specific node. In the first circuit, V1 is found to be 4.8V, while in the second circuit, V1 is found to be 10V using KCL. There is confusion about why the existence of a supernode in the second circuit would affect the voltage in this way. However, after realizing a mistake in interpreting the circuit, the individual understands the correct answer.
Xiao Xiao
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
Summary:: The image shows two circuits, in the first one, using Nodal Analysis we find that V1=4.8V, but in the second circuit V1=10 because using KCL - 10+V1=0. I understand what happened in the first circuit, but I don't understand what happened in the second one, they look the same to me except for the existence of a supernode in the second one, which I don't think it should affect it in that way?

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in but this is not HW help since I already know the answer.

IMG_20210409_002055.png

If I apply nodal analysis on the second circuit shouldn't I get a different result for V1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which part is confusing you?

Joshy said:
Which part is confusing you?
Wait. I actually feel very stupid right now, I got the whole question wrong, I kept seeing the 10V voltage source branch as a current source branch, and got confused, but I got it now.

1. What is an electric circuit analysis?

Electric circuit analysis is the process of using mathematical and engineering principles to study and understand the behavior of electric circuits. This includes analyzing the flow of current, voltage, and power within the circuit.

2. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used in electric circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current at different points in a circuit. It involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law to write equations at each node (junction) in the circuit and then solving for the unknown values.

3. How is voltage calculated in a circuit?

Voltage is calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). This can also be represented as V = IR. In a circuit, voltage can also be calculated by using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of the voltage drops around a closed loop must equal the sum of the voltage sources.

4. What is the purpose of finding voltage in a circuit?

Finding voltage in a circuit is important because it helps us understand how energy is being transferred and used within the circuit. It also allows us to determine the power and efficiency of the circuit, as well as identify any potential issues or malfunctions.

5. How is nodal analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal analysis is different from other circuit analysis methods because it is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. This allows for a more systematic and efficient approach to solving complex circuits, compared to other methods such as mesh analysis or source transformation.