Electric Field between two flat metal plates

In summary: Hence they are constant.You have 2 unknowns, E1 and E2.You can get one equation from Gauss's law.You can get the other by relating electric field to potential difference.In summary, two large, flat metal plates are held parallel to each other and separated by a distance d. They are connected together at their edge by a metal strip. A plastic sheet carrying a surface charge σ per unit area is placed between the plates at a distance 1/3*d from the upper plate. The electric field, E1 and E2, near the upper and lower plates, respectively, can be determined by using Gauss's law and relating them to the potential difference. The plates can be approximated as infinite in the horizontal direction
themagiciant95

Homework Statement

Two large, flat metal plates are held parallel to each other and separated by a distance d.· They are connected together at their edge by a metal strip. A thirt plastic sheet carrying a surface charge [tex]\sigma[/tex] per unit area is placed between the plates at a distance 1/3*d from the upper plate.
Call E1 and E2 the electric field near the upper and lower plates, respectively. What are E1 and E2?

Cattux_ra.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Im trying to find a good starting point for solving this problem.
First of all,I suppose that the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the plates in every point. But i don't know why. Can you help me ?

Attachments

• Cattux_ra.png
    Cattux_ra.png
    4 KB · Views: 841
Likes Douglas Sunday
Physics news on Phys.org
themagiciant95 said:
the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the plates in every point
For a pair of adjacent plates, yes. Strictly speaking, that is only true for infinite plates, but if you are told the plates are large (in relation to their separation) then that is the expected approximation.
Is that all you need to get started?

haruspex said:
For a pair of adjacent plates, yes. Strictly speaking, that is only true for infinite plates, but if you are told the plates are large (in relation to their separation) then that is the expected approximation.
Is that all you need to get started?

Ahah, indeed i has not been able yet. I tried to start the problem using the Gauss Law, but i don't know how. And i don't know which are the useful information i can obtain from the problem's text. Can you help me ?

You have 2 unknowns, E1 and E2.
You can get one equation from Gauss's law.
You can get the other by relating electric field to potential difference.

Likes Delta2
Just to help you abit more with @rude man idea,

use as Gaussian surface a rectangle(more accurately a parallelepiped ) that contains the plastic sheet (and its two big opposite sides inside the space that's inbetween the metal plates) and

notice that since the two metal plates are connected with a metal strip they have equal potential ##V##. It will be
##E_1\frac{d}{3}=V_p-V=E_2\frac{2d}{3}## where ##V_p## the potential of the plastic sheet.

Last edited:
Delta² said:
Just to help you abit more with @rude man idea,

use as Gaussian surface a rectangle(more accurately a parallelepiped ) that contains the plastic sheet (and its two big opposite sides inside the space that's inbetween the metal plates) and

notice that since the two metal plates are connected with a metal strip they have equal potential ##V##. It will be
##E_1\frac{d}{3}=V_p-V=E_2\frac{2d}{3}## where ##V_p## the potential of the plastic sheet.

Is very clear now , thanks.
I have only a doubt, why can we claim that E1 and E2 are constant and the have the same direction ?

themagiciant95 said:
Is very clear now , thanks.
I have only a doubt, why can we claim that E1 and E2 are constant and the have the same direction ?

You are right that the fields will not have the same direction. my equation at post #5 needs a minus in front :D.

That they are constant is actually an approximation. If the plates aren't infinite, the fields would depend both on the x (horizontal) and the y(vertical) coordinate (as well the z/depth coordinate). However if the plates are very large when compared to their separation distance then we can treat the plates as infinite in the horizontal dimension (and in the z-depth direction), so the field will not depend on the x-coordinate (neither on z-coordinate), and by applying gauss's law as told you also conclude that the fields will not depend on the y-coordinate either.

1. What is an electric field between two flat metal plates?

An electric field between two flat metal plates is the region in which electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by the difference in electric potential between the two plates, causing a flow of electrons from one plate to the other.

2. How is the electric field between two flat metal plates calculated?

The electric field between two flat metal plates can be calculated using the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between two flat metal plates?

The strength of the electric field between two flat metal plates is affected by the potential difference between the plates, the distance between the plates, and the properties of the material used for the plates (such as conductivity and surface area).

4. How does the electric field between two flat metal plates affect the motion of charged particles?

The electric field between two flat metal plates exerts a force on charged particles, causing them to move in a specific direction. The direction and magnitude of the force depends on the charge and mass of the particle, as well as the strength and direction of the electric field.

5. What is the significance of the electric field between two flat metal plates?

The electric field between two flat metal plates has many practical applications, such as in capacitors and electronic devices. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of charged particles and plays a crucial role in fields such as electromagnetism and electrostatics.