Electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell?

In summary, the conversation discussed whether the electric field is discontinuous on the surface of a spherical shell with a cavity, given a non-uniform charge distribution. It was mentioned that the infinitely charged plane with a surface charge density is discontinuous, but it was questioned if this is true for any surfaces regardless of shape and size. The use of Gauss' law was mentioned, but it was noted that it does not say anything about the discontinuity at the surface of the sphere. The possibility of obtaining a surface charge density by slicing a tiny portion of the outer surface was also discussed. It was mentioned that the electric field is continuous everywhere (except inside the cavity), but the question was whether it is also continuous on the surface of the sphere.
twist.1995

Homework Statement

Lets say, there is a non-uniform charge distribution, given as
upload_2016-8-30_20-19-3.png
in a spherical shell that has a cavity with radius a and the radius b to the outer surface. I am wondering if the field is discontinuous just on the surface of this sphere.

Homework Equations

http://blob:https://www.physicsforums.com/94bddccf-abed-4c26-bd7c-fdd42ade2eca [/B]
Φ=∫E.da=Q/ε0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the infinitely charged plane with a surface charge density σ is discontinuous.
upload_2016-8-30_20-48-9.png

I am wondering if this is true for any surfaces regardless of shape and size.

Using Gauss' law, I obtained
upload_2016-8-30_20-53-14.png
, which does not say anything about the discontinuity at b.
Also, if I slice a tiny portion of the outer surface, will I be able to get a surface charge density since the charge is symmetrically distributed all over the shell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
no electric field inside the shell, no charge enclosed...

Dr Transport said:
no electric field inside the shell, no charge enclosed...
The shell is an insulator, since there is a non-uniform volume charge density. If it was a conductor, there will be no charge inside the shell, and it will all be distributed on the inner and outer surfaces. Therefore, the integral gives the electric field inside the shell, as I have mentioned previously.
I am interested in what the electric field is on the surface just outside the sphere. I took the infinitely charged plane as an example and found that the electric field emanating outwards in the normal direction to the plane is σ/ε0. I need to know what will happen on the surface of the sphere (spherical shell),- can I consider it as an infinite plane with a constant electric field on the surface patch on it will take the value of what the Gauss' law gave me. In other words, I found that the electric field is continuous everywhere (not inside the cavity), but is it continuous just on the surface of the sphere or not?

you need to check Gauss's law inside the cavity of sphere, you enclose no charge, so there is no electric field...

Why would it be discontinuous? Just use Gauss's law at r = just inside b and just outside b. Same E field!

rude man said:
Why would it be discontinuous?
If the shell is an insulator (assumed to be a linear, isotropic and homogeneous dielectric), is it not true that the normal component of ## \vec D ## (not ## \vec E ##) is continuous while the tangential component of ## \vec E ## is continuous? In that case
$$ \epsilon \vec{E}_{inside} \cdot \hat n= \epsilon_0 \vec{E}_{outside} \cdot \hat n $$
If there is spherical symmetry, there is no tangential component, but there is still discontinuity in the normal component of the electric field. The surface polarization causes the discontinuity.

Likes twist.1995
kuruman said:
If the shell is an insulator (assumed to be a linear, isotropic and homogeneous dielectric), is it not true that the normal component of ## \vec D ## (not ## \vec E ##) is continuous while the tangential component of ## \vec E ## is continuous? In that case
$$ \epsilon \vec{E}_{inside} \cdot \hat n= \epsilon_0 \vec{E}_{outside} \cdot \hat n $$
If there is spherical symmetry, there is no tangential component, but there is still discontinuity in the normal component of the electric field. The surface polarization causes the discontinuity.
Only if there is polarization to begin with. There was no mention in the problem statement that the relative dielectric coefficient was > 1 so the E field is the same inside and outside the sphere at r=b.

If there is polarization your statement is correct.

What is an electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell?

An electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell refers to a change in the electric field strength or direction at the boundary between two different materials within a spherical shell. This can occur due to differences in the electrical properties of the materials, such as their dielectric constants.

What causes an electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell?

An electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell is caused by a difference in the electric properties of the materials at the boundary. This could be due to a change in the dielectric constant, conductivity, or charge distribution.

How is an electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell calculated?

The calculation of an electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell involves using the boundary conditions for electric fields, which state that the tangential component of the electric field must be continuous across the boundary between two materials. This can be solved using mathematical equations and the known properties of the materials.

What are some real-world applications of electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell?

Electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell can be seen in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of capacitors, microwave antennas, and electronic devices. It also plays a role in the behavior of lightning strikes and the formation of electric fields in Earth's atmosphere.

How can electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell be manipulated or controlled?

Electric field discontinuity in a spherical shell can be manipulated or controlled by choosing materials with specific electrical properties, such as dielectric constants or conductivities, at the boundary. Additionally, the shape and size of the spherical shell can also impact the electric field discontinuity.