Electric field in spherical shell - trying to understand the location

In summary, an electric field in a spherical shell is the force that an electric charge experiences at any point inside or outside the shell. It is calculated using Coulomb's Law and is dependent on the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the shell. The electric field inside the shell is zero due to a net zero charge, while outside it is dependent on the distance and charge. The location of the field cannot be controlled externally and the thickness of the shell does not affect the electric field as long as it is uniformly charged.
physics1000
Homework Statement
/
Relevant Equations
Nevermind.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry to say I can't make any sense of that you are asking.

PeroK said:
I'm sorry to say I can't make any sense of that you are asking.
ahh, then never mind.
I will just remove the question, thanks anyway.

1. What is an electric field in a spherical shell?

An electric field in a spherical shell refers to the distribution of electric charge on the surface of a spherical shell. It is a measure of the force per unit charge that a test charge would experience at any point on the surface of the shell.

2. How is the electric field in a spherical shell calculated?

The electric field in a spherical shell can be calculated using the formula E = Q/4πε0r2, where Q is the total charge on the shell, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. Is the electric field the same at all points on the surface of a spherical shell?

No, the electric field on the surface of a spherical shell is not the same at all points. It is dependent on the distance from the center of the shell and the distribution of charge on the surface.

4. How does the location of the charge affect the electric field in a spherical shell?

The location of the charge on the surface of a spherical shell affects the electric field by changing the distribution of charge and the distance from the center of the shell. This, in turn, affects the strength and direction of the electric field at different points on the surface.

5. What is the difference between the electric field inside and outside of a spherical shell?

The electric field inside a spherical shell is zero, as there is no charge inside the shell to create an electric field. Outside the shell, the electric field is non-zero and is dependent on the distance from the center of the shell and the total charge on the surface.