Electric field in the center of an arc

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of electric field at the center of an arc conductor wire with a uniformly distributed charge. The conversation includes relevant equations and an attempt at a solution, but ultimately the need for integrating the electric field components separately is highlighted in order to accurately calculate the value of the electric field at the center of the arc.
SetepenSeth

Homework Statement

Consider a conductor wire with a charge Q uniformly distributed, shaped in the form of an arc of radius R and amplitude 2A (were A is a given number between 0 and π).

Find the value of the electric field in the center of the arc.

Homework Equations

##E(P)= \int K_e (dq/r^2)##

Where ##K_e## is the electrostatic constant[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since the charge is uniformly distributed I'm considering the charge density as λ= Q/L thus Q= λL, where L = 2A. The point P is the center of the arc.

So the integral becomes

##E(P)= \int K_e (λL/R^2)##

Getting out the constants, integrating on dL and selecting the limits 0 - L=2A

##E(P)= K_e λ/R^2 \int_0^L LdL##

And solving:

##E(P)= 2A K_e λ / R^2##

However, if I leave it in terms of Q and Pi, the expression oversimplifies and the term 2A goes away

##E(P)= 2A Q / 4πε_0 R^2 2A ## ## =Q/4πε_0 R^2##

So I got the serious feeling I'm getting something wrong here. Perhaps integrate in terms of the angle?

Any advise would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
SetepenSeth said:
where L = 2A
What about R?
SetepenSeth said:
So the integral becomes
##E(P)= \int K_e (λL/R^2)##
E is a vector. You need to integrate it as such. An integral is a sum. How do you add vectors?

I think I'll start from scratch cause I don't follow

SetepenSeth said:
I think I'll start from scratch cause I don't follow
For example, consider the case where the arc goes through 180 degrees. The field at the centre from the charge at one end of the arc is equal and opposite to that from the charge at the other end of the arc, so those cancel.
Choose a coordinate system and write the field as components in that system. You can then integrate each component separately.

1. What is an electric field in the center of an arc?

An electric field in the center of an arc refers to the strength and direction of the electric force at the center point of an arc or curved conductive surface.

2. How is the electric field in the center of an arc calculated?

The electric field in the center of an arc can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge on the arc, and r is the distance from the center of the arc to the point of measurement.

3. What factors affect the electric field in the center of an arc?

The electric field in the center of an arc is affected by the charge on the arc, the shape and size of the arc, and the distance from the center of the arc to the point of measurement.

4. How does the electric field in the center of an arc impact electrical equipment?

The electric field in the center of an arc can cause electrical equipment to malfunction or fail, as it can induce unwanted currents and voltages in the equipment.

5. How can the electric field in the center of an arc be controlled?

The electric field in the center of an arc can be controlled by using insulating materials, grounding the arc, or adjusting the shape and size of the arc.