Electric field inside solenoid

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field inside a solenoid with a time varying current and the confusion surrounding the equations and their relationship to the frequency of the electric and magnetic fields. The use of the quasi-static approximation and the intrinsic impedance of free space are also mentioned.
VVS
Hello,

I am trying to find out the electric field inside a solenoid if a time varying current is passed through.
However I am stuck with these partial differential equations.
View attachment Electric field solenoid.pdf
Somehow I can't solve them and I think something is wrong.
Because according to equation (13) the electric field will vary with frequency sigma/epsilon.
However when looking at equation (11) the electric field must be varying with the frequency of the magnetic field, which is arbitrary.
I am really confused.
Does anybody know the answer?

thanks
VVS

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your picture doesn't appear, if you check the picture you uploaded is there than I can be sure to help out

SteliosVas said:
Your picture doesn't appear, if you check the picture you uploaded is there than I can be sure to help out

there is no pic ... it's a link to a PDF file to open and it works OK :)

Dave

So does nobody have an answer to my question?

VVS said:
So does nobody have an answer to my question?

Since you have a time varying current, the electromagnetic field created by the solenoid varies with time. The electromagnetic 'news' travels at the speed of light though. You use the quasi-static approximation

If the solenoid is wound with a perfect conductor, and in free space,
then the ratio of the electric field to the magnetic field will be the intrinsic impedance of free space.
Zfs= 4*10-7 * Pi * c = 376.73 ohm

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force a charged particle experiences in the presence of other charged particles.

How is an electric field created inside a solenoid?

An electric field is created inside a solenoid, which is a long, cylindrical coil of wire, when an electric current passes through the wire. The current creates a magnetic field, and this in turn creates an electric field inside the solenoid.

What is the direction of the electric field inside a solenoid?

The electric field inside a solenoid is directed along the axis of the solenoid, from one end to the other. This means that the electric field is parallel to the direction of the current flowing through the solenoid.

How does the electric field inside a solenoid change with the number of turns?

The strength of the electric field inside a solenoid is directly proportional to the number of turns in the coil. This means that increasing the number of turns will increase the strength of the electric field inside the solenoid.

Can the electric field inside a solenoid be controlled?

Yes, the strength and direction of the electric field inside a solenoid can be controlled by varying the current flowing through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the material of the solenoid. Controlling the electric field inside a solenoid is important in many applications, such as in electric motors and generators.