Electric field needed to accelerate an electron

In summary, an electron gun in a television tube is used to accelerate electrons from rest to a final velocity of 2 X 10 ^ 7 m/s within a distance of 7.4 cm. Using the equations for force, kinetic energy, and acceleration, the electric field required can be calculated as -15366.54519 N/C. However, this answer may be incorrect due to a possible typo in the given equation.
rsminsmith

Homework Statement

The electron gun in a television tube is used to accelerate electrons (mass of 9.10939 X 10 ^ -31, and charge of -1.60218 X 10 ^ -19) from rest to 2 X 10 ^ 7 m/s within a distance of 7.4 cm.
What electric field is required? Answer in units of N/C

Homework Equations

F_e = F_k
F_e = E * Q
F_k = m * a
a = (V ^ 2 * V_0 ^ 2) / 2d

The Attempt at a Solution

I set E * Q = m * a. The only unknown here is the electric field, which is what I'm trying to find, and acceleration. Since we are given a final velocity (2 X 10 ^ 7 m/s), an initial velocity (0 m/s, rest), and a distance (7.4 cm, or .074 m), i plugged in the acceleration equation, so the equation is now E = (m * ((V ^ 2 * V_0 ^ 2) / 2d)) / Q.

Plugging in I find that the acceleration is 2.7027 X 10 ^ 15 m/s^2 (roughly). I multiply that by the mass to get 2.462 X 10^-15 N (roughly), and divide by the electric charge to get -15366.54519 N/C. However, the system is not taking the answer, and I wanted to see if someone could take a look at it to see if I'm doing it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
This equation is wrong. "a = (V ^ 2 * V_0 ^ 2) / 2d" But it should be a typo. Your calculation is correct, but the negative sign is not needed.

ehild

Related to Electric field needed to accelerate an electron

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical phenomenon that is created by charged particles. It is a force field that surrounds a charged particle and exerts a force on any other charged particle placed within it.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by either a stationary or moving charged particle. When a charged particle is stationary, it creates an electric field that is static and does not change over time. When a charged particle is moving, it creates an electric field that is dynamic and changes as the particle moves.

3. What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. This means that for every coulomb of charge, there is a force of one newton acting on it in the direction of the electric field.

4. How does an electric field accelerate an electron?

An electric field can accelerate an electron by exerting a force on it. This force is directly proportional to the electric field strength and the charge of the electron. As the electron experiences this force, it gains kinetic energy and accelerates in the direction of the electric field.

5. What is the relationship between electric field and electron acceleration?

The relationship between electric field and electron acceleration is governed by the equation F=ma, where F is the force exerted by the electric field, m is the mass of the electron, and a is the acceleration of the electron. This means that the stronger the electric field, the greater the force and the faster the electron will accelerate.