Electric Field of a Non-Uniformly Charged Sphere | Homework Help

In summary: Well, the integral is now Q = ∫r0(\rho dV)r(\vec r)And, if you divide both sides by ##r^2##, you get Q/Volume = ρ/VIn summary, The electric field outside the sphere is equal to E = (AR5)/(5ε0r²), and the electric field inside the sphere is equal to E = (AR3)/5ε0.
Dgeld

Homework Statement

A solid isolated sphere with radius R has a non uniform charge which is given by ρ= Ar²,
with A a constant and r<R measured from the centre of the sphere

Homework Equations

(a) Show that the electric field outside the sphere is equal to E = (AR5)/(5ε0r²)
(b) Show that the electric field inside the sphere is equal to E = (AR3)/5ε0)

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt, I am completely clueless about what to do here.
Pardon my english, not a native speaker.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Dg, :welcome:

Your english is just fine and certainly good enough to read the guidelines . There you will find that we can't help unless you make an effort.

As a welcoming gesture: did you notice the charge density is spherically symmetrical :rolleyes: ? And does that remind you of a useful theorem named after a long-dead german genius :wink: ?

Likes berkeman
BvU said:
Hello Dg, :welcome:

Your english is just fine and certainly good enough to read the guidelines . There you will find that we can't help unless you make an effort.

As a welcoming gesture: did you notice the charge density is spherically symmetrical :rolleyes: ? And does that remind you of a useful theorem named after a long-dead german genius :wink: ?

Yes i know it's somthing to do with Gausses law, Φ = ∫ EdA which i can then change into Q = ρ EDV
I can fill in ρ as the Q/ Volume of sphere and dV for a surface area. But than i am stuck with an integral i do not know how to solve.

Write down the complete expression for that integral (counts as attempt at solution !)

Well the full expression then would be Q = ∫r0 (q/πr4)r(4πr²dr)

My apologies, i do not know how to put a combination of sub and super script on an integral, the 0 is supposed to be at the bottom.

yeah, the ordinary fonts aren't very good at that. To do it right you need ##LaTeX##
I interpret your formula as $$ Q = \int_0^R {q\over 4\pi r} r \; 4\pi r^2 \,dr $$ correct me if I am wrong (i.e. for example: upper limit R not r)

Can you explain what your Q stands for and how you set it up to look like this ? What is lower case q ?

And we are talking about part (a) with ##r > R##, right ?

With Gauss' law in this spherically symmetric case, you can write ## E = \displaystyle {Q\over 4\pi\varepsilon_0 \; r^2}\ ## with ##Q## the total charge; agree ?Also: re excercise shrewdness :wink: : if you see a 5th power of R divided by 5 in the answer desired, doesn't that ring a bell about a possible integrand ?
##\mathstrut##

Yes about part (a).

the lower case q should be uppercase, my mistake. The Q stands for the charge of the whole sphere.

And yes i agree with that part, But i don't think i can fill in Q by what i have managed to get to find E or can i?

Also, i suppose it doesn't ring a bell for me as i have no idea how that could lead me to a possible integrand.

Oh and btw, thank you very much for helping me!

You are welcome.

If your q is actually Q then you have a circular reference in excel language :biggrin: : the variable is both on the left and on the right side of the equation

The expression to get Q when given ## \ \rho = Ar^2\ ## is what we are still struggling with, right ?

If, in a small volume ##dV\, ## the charge density is ##\rho, \ ## then the charge in that small volume is ##\rho dV##.

For a larger volume ##V## with a charge density ##\rho(\vec r)## (depending on position), the total charge is then ##Q=\int_V \rho(\vec r) \, dV##.

Can you now write the correct version of your integral in #5 ? You have all the ingredients!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric charges on other charges. It is defined as the force per unit charge that a test charge would experience if placed in the electric field.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. Mathematically, it can be represented as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are closely related but are two different physical quantities. Electric potential is the amount of electrical potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space, while electric field is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge at a specific point in space.

4. How does the direction of an electric field relate to the direction of the force on a test charge?

The direction of an electric field is the direction in which a positive test charge would experience a force. This means that the force on a positive test charge is in the same direction as the electric field, while the force on a negative test charge is in the opposite direction.

5. Can electric fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, electric fields can be shielded or blocked by conducting materials, such as metals. These materials have free electrons that can move in response to an external electric field, which cancels out the field and prevents it from affecting objects behind the shield. This is why metal objects, such as cars, can provide protection from lightning strikes.