Electric field of ring causing oscillation

In summary: Then use the equation F = ma = −kx to find the angular frequency of the oscillation. In summary, the question asks for the angular frequency of a charged particle performing small oscillations around the center of a ring with a radius of 18 cm and carrying a positive charge of 5 µC. The particle has a mass of m and a charge of -5 µC, and the angular frequency is given as 12 rad/s. If the radius of the ring is doubled to 36 cm, the question asks for the new angular frequency while all other parameters remain unchanged. Using the electric field equation for a uniformly charged ring and the equation F = ma = −kx, the angular frequency can be calculated by approximating
ponyhunter

Homework Statement

A ring of radius 18 cm that lies in the yz plane
carries positive charge of 5 µC uniformly distributed over its length. A particle of mass m
that carries a charge of −5 µC executes small
oscillations about the center of the ring on its
axis with an angular frequency of 12 rad/s.
Find the angular frequency of oscillation of
the mass if the radius of the ring is doubled to
36 cm and all other parameters above remain
unchanged.

Homework Equations

{Hint: it is useful to draw an analogy between this problem and a mass-spring system.
For the latter, the force on the mass is given by
F = ma = −kx and produces 1d simple harmonic oscillation with an angular frequency
of ω = (k/m)^(1/2)}

Electric field of a uniformly charged ring: (1/(4*pi*epsilon))*q*z/(R^2+z^2)^(3/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I took the electric field of the ring and multiplied it by the charge of the particle mass to get the force. I also took the angular frequency and squared it to get k/m, but after that I'm just stuck. I really just wish I knew what to do. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
ponyhunter said:

Homework Statement

A ring of radius 18 cm that lies in the yz plane
carries positive charge of 5 µC uniformly distributed over its length. A particle of mass m
that carries a charge of −5 µC executes small
oscillations about the center of the ring on its
axis with an angular frequency of 12 rad/s.
Find the angular frequency of oscillation of
the mass if the radius of the ring is doubled to
36 cm and all other parameters above remain
unchanged.

Homework Equations

{Hint: it is useful to draw an analogy between this problem and a mass-spring system.
For the latter, the force on the mass is given by
F = ma = −kx and produces 1d simple harmonic oscillation with an angular frequency
of ω = (k/m)^(1/2)}

Electric field of a uniformly charged ring: (1/(4*pi*epsilon))*q*z/(R^2+z^2)^(3/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I took the electric field of the ring and multiplied it by the charge of the particle mass to get the force. I also took the angular frequency and squared it to get k/m, but after that I'm just stuck. I really just wish I knew what to do. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

The question says that charge performs oscillations near the centre of the ring. This means that z (assuming it is the distance of charge from centre of ring) is much smaller than the radius of ring (R) i.e z<<R. Use this approximation and find the force on the charge.

Related to Electric field of ring causing oscillation

1. What is an electric field of a ring causing oscillation?

The electric field of a ring causing oscillation is a phenomenon in which a charged ring or hoop is placed in an electric field and begins to oscillate due to the interaction between the two fields.

2. How does the electric field of a ring cause oscillation?

The electric field of a ring causes oscillation by exerting a force on the charges within the ring, causing them to move back and forth. This movement creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric field that opposes the original electric field. This back-and-forth interaction between the two fields results in the oscillation of the ring.

3. What factors affect the oscillation caused by the electric field of a ring?

The main factors that affect the oscillation caused by the electric field of a ring are the strength of the electric field, the charge and mass of the ring, and the size and shape of the ring. The distance between the ring and the source of the electric field can also play a role.

4. How is the oscillation of the ring measured?

The oscillation of the ring can be measured by tracking the displacement of the ring from its equilibrium position over time. This can be done using a variety of methods, such as video analysis or sensors that can detect the movement of the ring.

5. What are some real-life applications of the electric field of a ring causing oscillation?

The electric field of a ring causing oscillation has applications in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and technology. For example, it is used in devices such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, and seismometers to measure and detect movement and vibrations. It is also important in studies of electromagnetism and can be used to demonstrate principles of electricity and magnetism in educational settings.