Electric field on surface of the Earth due to solar radiation

In summary, this problem is actually an example I'm working through. I'm missing something. The example seems to equate the power per unit area for a single EM wave with the power per unit area for all EM waves incident on that unit area, which is incorrect.
fayled
This problem is actually an example I'm working through...

1. Homework Statement

We are trying to estimate the (magnitude of the) electric field in the light waves from the sun hitting the surface of the Earth.

Homework Equations

The Poynting vector for a sinusoidal EM wave has magnitude cε0E02/2 (this was derived before - I understand this).
The intensity of sunlight at the surface of the Earth is 1300Wm-2

The Attempt at a Solution

So the idea is that the magnitude of Poynting vector for a single EM wave will represent the power flow per unit area for this single EM wave at the surface of the Earth. The example then just equates this to the intensity and solves for E0.

But I'm missing something. We have equated an expression for the power per unit area (Poynting vector) for a single EM wave to an expression for the power per unit area for all EM waves incident on that unit area, so we are attributing this intensity all to one wave when we shouldn't be and so are overestimating the field. Can anybody explain? Would it make more sense if the example meant we were trying to find the electric field at the surface due to all waves, not just one?

Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe they are one and the same. ##c\epsilon_0E_0^2/2## can represent a single wave or the entire field. By solving for the ##E_0## in this way, based on total intensity, you are indeed finding the total field.

RUber said:
I believe they are one and the same. ##c\epsilon_0E_0^2/2## can represent a single wave or the entire field. By solving for the ##E_0## in this way, based on total intensity, you are indeed finding the total field.

Actually wouldn't a single EM wave have the same electric field as the field produced by all the EM waves put together? Because if the waves are emitted in all directions from a source point, at a point on a sphere centred on this source point, you get basically one wave at each point (and if we go into the continuous limit, we get a 'spread' of EM waves), and so the field vectors don't really add they just act next to one another, i.e we get a 'spread' of the field, and the vectors don't add.

Last edited:
I'd say there is an equivalent electric field amplitude such as to give an intensity of 1300W.

So you could start with the expression relating instantaneous power of a plane wave Emcos(wt - kx), then integrate to get the average power in the wave per sq. meter and then the effective E amplitude. In other words you are assuming an equivalent plane wave of one frequency and with the amplitude necessary to give the given intensity density (W/sq. m.).

In reality there are an infinite number of oscillators of random phase, each of frequency df, as determined by the Planck radiation law. That math would seem to be beyond introductory physics.

I would like to clarify that the electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation is a complex phenomenon and cannot be accurately estimated using a simple equation. The Poynting vector and intensity of sunlight are only a few factors that contribute to the overall electric field.

To accurately estimate the electric field, we need to consider various other factors such as the Earth's atmosphere, the Earth's magnetic field, the angle of incidence of the sunlight, and the Earth's surface properties. These factors can greatly affect the electric field and cannot be ignored.

Moreover, the electric field is not just affected by a single EM wave, but rather the combined effect of all the EM waves incident on the Earth's surface. Therefore, it would be more accurate to consider the electric field due to all waves rather than just one wave.

In conclusion, while the Poynting vector and intensity of sunlight can provide a rough estimate of the electric field on the surface of the Earth, it is important to consider all the other factors to accurately determine the magnitude of the electric field.

1. What is the source of the electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation?

The source of the electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation is the Sun. The Sun constantly emits a stream of charged particles called the solar wind, which interacts with the Earth's magnetic field and creates an electric field.

2. How strong is the electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation?

The strength of the electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation can vary depending on the activity of the Sun. On average, it is about 100 volts per meter. However, during times of high solar activity, it can reach up to 1,000 volts per meter.

3. Does the electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation have any impact on our daily lives?

Yes, the electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation can have an impact on our daily lives. It can affect the operation of electronic devices such as satellites, radio communication, and power grids. It can also cause auroras and magnetic storms in the Earth's atmosphere.

4. How does the electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation affect the Earth's climate?

The electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation can indirectly affect the Earth's climate by influencing the Earth's magnetic field. Changes in the magnetic field can impact the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface, which can affect temperature and weather patterns.

5. Can humans feel or detect the electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation?

No, humans cannot feel or detect the electric field on the surface of the Earth due to solar radiation. The field is relatively weak and does not have any noticeable effects on the human body. However, it is constantly present and plays an important role in maintaining our planet's ecosystem.