Electric field strength and direction problem (need help)

ks81
New user has been reminded to always show their work when posting schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
Electric field strength and direction problem
Relevant Equations
E= k * q/r^2
9A157652-6312-46DC-9E49-A0BC447704FD.jpeg

E1= 9.0 x 10^9 * 10 x 10^-9 / (0.045)^2 = 45000. x cos(153.43)=
E2= 9.0 x 10^9 * 10 x 10^-9 / (0.02)^2= 22500 x cos(180)=
E3= 9.0 x 10^9 * 5.0 x 10^-9 / (0.04)^2= 28125 x cos(90)= ?

Enet= ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please write a more detailed attempt at solution.

If I understand correctly at this attempt you try to calculate the three y-components of the three electric fields due to each of the three charges.
You must also write the three x-components and then sum the three y-components to calculate a total y-component, and similarly to calculate a total x-component.

Further to @Delta2's reply, use commonsense to check your signs. It is very easy to get those wrong. E.g., which way should the field from the lower right charge point, up the page or down? (I'm not saying have that wrong, just that it is worth checking.)
Also, there is rarely any merit in finding the numeric value of an angle. You can find their trig functions with simple geometry.

In addition to @haruspex's and @Delta2's replies, it seems that you are magnitudes of vectors with their components. For example
ks81 said:
E1= 9.0 x 10^9 * 10 x 10^-9 / (0.045)^2 = 45000. x cos(153.43)=
The number .0 x 10^9 * 10 x 10^-9 / (0.045)^2 is equal to about 45000 and is equal to the magnitude of E1. Where did cos(153.43) come from? If you meant to write the x or y component of E1, then put down
E1x=E1*(some trig function)
E1y=E1*(some other trig function)
Otherwise you will probably get confused about what it is that you are calculating.

kuruman said:
Where did cos(153.43) come from?
I think ##\theta=26.57## is the angle of the diagonal with one of the sides of the parallelogram with sides 2 and 4. for some reason he takes ##cos(180-\theta)## not sure if this gives the y-component of the electric field of the charge at the bottom left corner. I thought so at the moment I was writing post #2.

Delta2 said:
I think ##\theta=26.57## is the angle of the diagonal with one of the sides of the parallelogram with sides 2 and 4. for some reason he takes ##cos(180-\theta)## not sure if this gives the y-component of the electric field of the charge at the bottom left corner. I thought so at the moment I was writing post #2.
That may be so, however this
ks81 said:
9.0 x 10^9 * 10 x 10^-9 / (0.045)^2 = 45000. x cos(153.43)
is not correct unless cos(153.43) = 1 which is clearly not the case. That is why I suggested that OP starts with E1x or E1y on the LHS rather than the magnitude E1.

Likes Delta2
Before even starting the calculations you should draw the forces or fields on the figure and label them. Don't expect people to guess what do you mean by E1, E2, E3 etc. As it is, they can be anything. Are these components, magnitudes? Without axes, how do we know which is x and which is y component?

1. How do I calculate the electric field strength at a particular point?

To calculate the electric field strength at a particular point, you can use the formula E = k * Q / r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 N m^2/C^2), Q is the charge creating the electric field, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where you want to calculate the electric field.

2. How do I determine the direction of the electric field at a given point?

To determine the direction of the electric field at a given point, you need to consider the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience at that point. The electric field lines point away from positive charges and towards negative charges. So, if the test charge would be repelled, the electric field points away from the source charge, and if the test charge would be attracted, the electric field points towards the source charge.

3. What units are used to measure electric field strength?

Electric field strength is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m). Both units are equivalent and can be used interchangeably to represent the strength of an electric field at a particular point.

4. Can electric field lines ever intersect?

No, electric field lines cannot intersect. If they were to intersect, it would imply that at the point of intersection, there are two different directions for the electric field, which is not physically possible. Electric field lines always point in the direction of the electric field at any given point and do not cross or intersect.

5. How does the magnitude of a charge affect the electric field strength it produces?

The magnitude of a charge directly affects the electric field strength it produces. The greater the magnitude of the charge, the stronger the electric field it creates. This relationship is described by Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field strength is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge creating the field.