Electric Forces and net electric force?

In summary: I just used a screen image capturing tool (Windows' snipping tool) to grab the images and pasted them. I'm aware that not every software's capture to the clipboard can be pasted directly, but the snipping tool works well. You can also upload the images to the PF site via the UPLOAD icon at the lower right of the edit window.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

Problem # 4:[/B]
A thin semicircular rod has a total charge +Q uniformly distributed along it. A negative point charge -Q is placed as shown. A test charge +q is placed at point C. (Point C is equidistant from -Q and from all points on the rod.)

http://imgur.com/AeVfddb
upload_2017-1-27_18-50-50.png
Let FP and FR represent the force on the test Charge due to the point charge and the rod respectively.

Part C:
A second negative point charge -Q is placed as shown.

http://imgur.com/eYEOkPc
upload_2017-1-27_18-51-45.png

Is the magnitude of the net electric force on +q greater than, less than, or equal to the magnitude of the net electric force on +q in part b? Explain.

Whole Problem
http://imgur.com/VbAtlg5

Homework Equations

F = kq1q2/r2
Also basic knowledge of electric forces based on vector math and x/y - components.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved part b (hopefully correct), but I want to say that the magnitude of the net electric force on +q will be less than the one found in part b since the -Q charges would cancel out as they are the same distance thus same magnitude, but opposite directions. However, I am confused on how the semicircular rod affects this as it is right there between it and the -Q charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement is all but undecipherable. Please provide a clear, visible description of the problem that helpers can immediately see.

gneill said:
Your problem statement is all but undecipherable. Please provide a clear, visible description of the problem that helpers can immediately see.
Sorry, I placed the image link at the bottom rather than the top by accident. I fixed it and the link is now at the top.

jlmccart03 said:
Sorry, I placed the image link at the bottom rather than the top by accident. I fixed it and the link is now at the top.
Even with the image, your text description should be more complete. Helpers shouldn't have to wade through a whole scanned image to discover what the problem is about. Take the time to describe the problem in the problem statement, use attached images to provide supporting diagrams and figures.

gneill said:
Even with the image, your text description should be more complete. Helpers shouldn't have to wade through a whole scanned image to discover what the problem is about. Take the time to describe the problem in the problem statement, use attached images to provide supporting diagrams and figures.
Sorry to inconvenience you tonight. I don't understand the hostility, but that is besides the point. I re-did the write-up with clear directions, diagrams to support, and finally the an image of ONLY the problem to eliminate any confusion. I tried my best to set-up the problem, but clearly that was not enough. Hopefully everything I did will clarify what I need help on.

jlmccart03 said:
Sorry to inconvenience you tonight. I don't understand the hostility, but that is besides the point. I re-did the write-up with clear directions, diagrams to support, and finally the an image of ONLY the problem to eliminate any confusion. I tried my best to set-up the problem, but clearly that was not enough. Hopefully everything I did will clarify what I need help on.
The write up is much better now. Thanks. The idea is to make it easier for our volunteer helpers to help you.

I placed captured/cropped versions of your images in-line in the problem statement so that helpers don't have to follow off-site links to see them.

gneill said:
The write up is much better now. Thanks. The idea is to make it easier for our volunteer helpers to help you.

I placed captured/cropped versions of your images in-line in the problem statement so that helpers don't have to follow off-site links to see them.
Thanks, How did you do the cropped images? I tried to get it imbedded into the description, but the site didn't accept my links from imgur. Just in case for the future.

jlmccart03 said:
Thanks, How did you do the cropped images? I tried to get it imbedded into the description, but the site didn't accept my links from imgur. Just in case for the future.
I just used a screen image capturing tool (Windows' snipping tool) to grab the images and pasted them. I'm aware that not every software's capture to the clipboard can be pasted directly, but the snipping tool works well. You can also upload the images to the PF site via the UPLOAD icon at the lower right of the edit window. Then you can insert the images where you will in the text of the post.

1. What are electric forces?

Electric forces are forces that act between charged particles. They can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the types of charges involved.

2. How do electric forces work?

Electric forces work by exerting a force on charged particles in a field. This force is caused by the interaction between the charges, and it follows the inverse square law, meaning that the force decreases with distance.

3. What is the net electric force?

The net electric force is the overall force exerted on a charged particle in an electric field. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of all the individual electric forces acting on the particle.

4. How is the net electric force calculated?

The net electric force can be calculated by summing up all the individual electric forces acting on a charged particle. This can be done using the formula F = qE, where F is the net force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field strength.

5. What factors affect the strength of the net electric force?

The strength of the net electric force is affected by the magnitude of the charges involved, the distance between the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. Additionally, the presence of any other charged particles in the vicinity can also affect the net electric force.