Electric Potential and Equipotential Contour

In summary: Thanks again for your help!No problem, happy to help! I will check out your other question as well. Good luck with your studies!
btpolk

Homework Statement

The electric potential V in a region of space is given by the following expression, where A is a constant.
V(x, y, z) = A (6x^2 - 7y^4 + 6z^2)

(a) Derive an expression for the electric field vector E at any point in this region. (Use the following as necessary: A, x, y, and z.)

x-component
Ex = -12Ax

y-component
Ey = 28Ay^3

z-component
Ez = -12Az

(b) The work done by the field when a 2.50 µC test charge moves from the point (x, y, z) = (0, 0, 0.380 m) to the origin is measured to be 4.00 10-5 J. Determine A.

A = 18.47

(c) Determine the electric field at the point (0, 0, 0.380).

E(0, 0, 0.380) = 82.4 N/C negative z

(d) What is the radius of the equipotential contour corresponding to V = 1150 V and y = 9.00 m?

r =?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All I need is part (d). I have no idea what it is talking about.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Being that electric potential can be related by ΔV = - ∫E ds = - ∫E_s ds, where E_s is the component of E in the direction of ds, you find that E_s = -dΔV/ds. Or simply, you can find the magnitude of the electric field in the direction of ds by taking the negative derivative of the electric potential. Likewise, to find x, y, and z components, you can take partial derivatives for each component. E = -dΔV/dx i -dΔV/dy j -dΔV/dz k

How do I use that to find the radius?

Oh, sorry, I guess I misread your post. I assume what you are doing is finding the radius at y = 9 m made on the plane by x and z. Or that is, a "circle" equipotential field exists for all y on the x,z plane in this particular electric potential function.

So:
1150 = A (6x^2 - 7(9)^4 + 6z^2)
1150/A = 6x^2 + 6z^2 - 45927
45927 + 1150/A = 6x^2 + 6z^2
(45927 + 1150/A)/6 = x^2 + z^2
(45927 + 1150/18.47)/6 = x^2 + z^2

Where this is remembered to be a elliptical equation where both the major and minor axis's are equal (hence a circle, not an ellipse.) And thus:
r^2 = (45927 + 1150/18.47)/6
r = 87.55

Someone can double check if I did that correctly.

Yeah I just submitted the answer and it checks out. I guess I was just over thinking it and I didn't even know what a equipotential contour was...

Yes, an equipotential surface is a surface where the electric potential is the same. Any point on the surface has the same potential difference.

I appreciate the help! I do have another question posted if you have some free time

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a physical quantity that represents the amount of potential energy that a charged particle possesses at a given point in space. It is measured in volts (V) and is a scalar quantity.

2. What is an equipotential contour?

An equipotential contour is a line or surface in space where the electric potential is constant. This means that any charged particle placed on the contour will experience the same electric potential and therefore will not move along the contour.

3. How are electric potential and electric field related?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related, as electric potential is the energy per unit charge that a charged particle would experience if placed in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge, while electric field is the force per unit charge.

4. How do you calculate electric potential?

Electric potential can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle to the point where the potential is being measured.

5. What is the significance of equipotential contours?

Equipotential contours are important because they allow us to visualize the electric field in a given space. They also help us to understand the behavior of charged particles in an electric field, as they will always move perpendicular to the contours to reach a region of lower potential.