Electric potential at the edge of a thin charged circular plate

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a circular arc on a plate, with a radius of 'r' and an angle of 'θ'. The area between the arc and a slightly larger arc is represented by dA, and the charge on this area is represented by dq. The potential at edge A is represented by dV, and it is calculated using the formula (-σR/πε) ∫ θsinθ.dθ. The individual is confused about why the limits of integration should be from π/2 to 0 instead of from 0 to π/2, and the expert provides an explanation.
Aryamaan Thakur
Homework Statement
To find the electric potential at the edge of a thin circular plate of radius R carrying uniformly distributed charge of surface density σ
Relevant Equations
dV = (1/4πε) dq/r
l = rθ
My question might sound stupid to you but please clear my confusions.

I'm taking an circular arc like element on the plate. That arc has a radius of 'r' (AB) and the radius is inclined at an angle 'θ' with OA (∠OAB).
figure.png

The area between arc of radius r and r+dr is dA.
dA = 2θr.dr
The charge on this area will be dq
dq = σ dA = 2σθr.dr

From ΔAOB, the relation between r and R is:
r = 2Rcosθ
taking derivative on both sides gives:
dr = -2Rsinθ

Potential due to this area at edge A is dV
dV = (1/4πεr) dq = (1/4πε) (-4σRθsinθ.dθ)

So, V comes out to be ∫ dV = (-σR/πε) ∫ θsinθ.dθ
taking limits from 0 to π/2, the integral gives 1

V = (-σR/πε)

I got the right magnitude but wrong sign. Some resources on internet say I should integrate from π/2 to 0.
What is the problem in integrating from 0 to π/2? Why am I getting a negative sign? And why should I integrate from π/2 to 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aryamaan Thakur said:
why should I integrate from π/2 to 0?
Because you started with dr, which is only going to be positive if your integration range is from 0 to 2R (not the other way around).
r=0 corresponds to θ=π/2.

Likes Aryamaan Thakur
It was just this...😂 I solved the whole problem and put the wrong limits😂😂😂
Thanks a lot:smile: You cleared my confusion.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electrical potential energy that a charged object has at a given point in space.

How is electric potential at the edge of a thin charged circular plate calculated?

The electric potential at the edge of a thin charged circular plate can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/R, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge on the plate, and R is the distance from the center of the plate to the edge.

How does the electric potential at the edge of a thin charged circular plate change with distance?

The electric potential at the edge of a thin charged circular plate decreases as the distance from the center of the plate increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, and electric potential is directly proportional to electric field strength.

Can the electric potential at the edge of a thin charged circular plate ever be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at the edge of a thin charged circular plate can be negative if the plate has a negative charge. This means that the electric potential energy at that point is lower than the electric potential energy at infinity.

How is the electric potential affected by the size of the charged circular plate?

The electric potential at the edge of a thin charged circular plate is directly proportional to the size of the plate. This means that a larger plate will have a higher electric potential at its edge compared to a smaller plate with the same charge.