Electric Potential Energy of a sphere

In summary: The work done to move the charge from 100 m to 40 cm is negative because the electric field generated by the sphere is pushing the charge away.
mrxtothaz

Homework Statement

A test charge of +1.0x10^-6 C is 40cm from a charged sphere of 3.2x10^-3 C. How much work was required to move it there from a point 1.0x10^2 m away from the sphere?

Homework Equations

W = [tex]\Delta[/tex]E
W = Ee2 - Ee1

The Attempt at a Solution

Ee2 = (9.0x10^9)(1.0x10^-6)(3.2x10^-3)/(0.4)
= 72

Ee1 = (9.0x10^9)(1.0x10^-6)(3.2x10^-3)/(100)
=0.288

W = 72 - 0.288
= 71.7
= 72 (significant digits)

I'm pretty sure my approach is correct, but I'm not sure if I should reverse the distance variables, since I would imagine it takes negative work to bring two like charges closer.

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case work done by the electric field is negative. But the work done by the external force is positive.

rl.bhat said:
In this case work done by the electric field is negative. But the work done by the external force is positive.

I think it's the other way around. Since there is no sign in front of the charge on the sphere, we must assume it is positive and the electric field generated by it must be radially out. This is also the direction of the (repulsive) electric force on the positive test charge. If the charge moves out from 40 cm to 100 m, the work done by the electric force is positive because the force doing the work and the displacement are in the same direction.

kuruman said:
I think it's the other way around. Since there is no sign in front of the charge on the sphere, we must assume it is positive and the electric field generated by it must be radially out. This is also the direction of the (repulsive) electric force on the positive test charge. If the charge moves out from 40 cm to 100 m, the work done by the electric force is positive because the force doing the work and the displacement are in the same direction.
In this problem charge is moved from 100 cm to 40 cm.

rl.bhat said:
In this problem charge is moved from 100 cm to 40 cm.
Yes, of course. I misread the problem.

I got the same answer that was posted.

To clarify the distance, the test charged is moved from a position 100 m away from the charged sphere to a position 40 cm away from the charged sphere.

Related to Electric Potential Energy of a sphere

What is Electric Potential Energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy associated with the position or configuration of a charged object in an electric field.

How is Electric Potential Energy Calculated for a Sphere?

The electric potential energy of a sphere can be calculated using the equation U = kQq/r, where U is the potential energy, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, q is the charge of the external object, and r is the distance between the two charges.

What Factors Affect the Electric Potential Energy of a Sphere?

The electric potential energy of a sphere is affected by its charge, the charge of the external object, and the distance between the two charges. As the charge or distance increases, the potential energy also increases.

Can Electric Potential Energy Be Negative?

Yes, electric potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the charges on the sphere and the external object have opposite signs, resulting in a negative value for the potential energy.

What is the Relationship Between Electric Potential Energy and Electric Force?

Electric potential energy and electric force are related through the equation F = -dU/dr, where F is the electric force and dU/dr is the derivative of the potential energy with respect to the distance between the charges. This means that as the potential energy increases, the force between the charges also increases.