Electric Potential Problem Involving Uranium Atom

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a physics question involving electric potential energy and electric force. The problem involves a simplified model of a uranium nucleus and an alpha particle being released from the surface. There are two attempts at solving the problem, with the first one being correct except for some errors in the exponents. The second attempt is incorrect and the answer in the back of the book is most likely a typo. The correct answer is 5.18*10^-12 J.
Kumo
Hi Everybody,

I am currently battling with the fourth and final question of my A Level physics work for this week. The problem has been driving me crazy, as I seemed to have completed all of the relevant steps, and I find the right answer only with negative exponents, which isn’t much help at all.

Homework Statement

In a simplified model, a uranium nucleus is a sphere of radius 8.0 * 10-15m. The nucleus contains 92 protons (and rather more neutrons). The charge on a proton is 1.6 * 10-19. It can be assumed that the charge of these protons acts as if it were all concentrated at the centre of the nucleus. The nucleus releases an α-particle containing two protons (and two neutrons) at the surface of the nucleus.

It then proceeds to ask questions for the electric force on the α-particles at the surface, and the electric potential of the nucleus, which I was fine with after a few tries. However, question (d) asks the following.

Calculate: the electric potential energy of the α-particle when it is at the surface of the nucleus.

Homework Equations

[itex]W=\frac{kqQ}{r}[/itex] or [itex]E= \frac{V}{d}[/itex] together with [itex]V=\frac {kQ}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to tackle the problem in two ways, the first is as follows using the electric potential energy formula given above.

[itex]W = \frac{qkQ}{r}[/itex]

[itex]W = \frac{(8.99 * 10^9) * (3.2 *10^{-19}) * (1.44 * 10^{-17})}{(8 * 10^{15})}[/itex]

[itex]W = \frac{(4.143 * 10^{-26})}{(8 * 10^{15})}[/itex]

[itex]W=5.18 * 10^{-12}[/itex] J

This is pretty much the same answer that I found in the back of the book, only with a negative exponent.

My next attempt was a bit of a shot in the dark, but I tried it regardless.

[itex]V = \frac{kQ}{r}[/itex]

[itex]V = \frac{(8.99 * 10^9) * (3.2 * 10^{19})}{(8.0 * 10^{19})}[/itex]

[itex]V = \frac{(2.877 * 10^{-19}}{(8 * 10^{-19}}[/itex]

[itex]V = \frac{3.6 * 10^{-1}}V[/itex]

[itex]E = \frac{V}{d}[/itex]

[itex]E = \frac{(3.6 * 10^{-1})}{(7*10^{-19}}[/itex]

[itex]E = 4.5 * 10^{18} J[/itex] J

I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this issue, as it has really been bugging me. Thank you very much for any help and your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are sign errors in your exponents.

How do you get 8.0*1019 in the second approach?
Some other exponents there look odd, too (how did you combine 9 and 19 to get -19?), and your units are missing or wrong.

Just be more careful with your numbers and units, and all those mysteries will disappear.

Thanks for the reply, mfb. The second solution was copied from the document that I was using for my work, and I had attempted that method numerous times, so I must have made a mistake with that approach. A fixed version can be seen below. The second solution seems to be completely wrong. I apologize for posting such incorrect workings earlier.

[itex]V = \frac{kQ}{r}[/itex]

[itex]V = \frac{(8.99 * 10^9) * (3.2 * 10^{-19})}{(8.0 * 10^{-15})}[/itex]

[itex]V = \frac{(2.877 * 10^{-9}}{(8 * 10^{-15}}[/itex]

[itex]V = {3.6 * 10^{5}}[/itex] V

[itex]E = \frac{V}{d}[/itex]

[itex]E = \frac{(3.6 * 10^{5})}{(8*10^{-15}}[/itex]

[itex]E = 4.5 * 10^{19} [/itex]

Last edited:
First, the formula E=V/d assumes that E is constant, and V is zero at a distance of d. Both are wrong.
Second, why do you try to calculate the electric field here?
Third, please add units to your calculations.

In hindsight I shouldn't have included the second attempt , as even in my own mind it didn't seem right. What would the main issue be with the main attempt at a solution? Am I using the incorrect formula?

Apart from the mentioned errors in the exponents, it looks right.
Why do you think it would be wrong?

It's strange because the back of the book has the answer as 5.18*1012. So I was able to get the right answer, only with a negative exponent.

Probably a typo in the book.
5.18*1012 J is roughly the energy you get in the explosion of 1000kg of TNT - certainly not the energy released in a single nuclear reaction!

mfb said:
Probably a typo in the book.
5.18*1012 J is roughly the energy you get in the explosion of 1000kg of TNT - certainly not the energy released in a single nuclear reaction!

I thought that it seemed rather odd, but I thought that I had to be overlooking something. I did think that it was an awfully large number given the problem. Thank you very much for your help.

Related to Electric Potential Problem Involving Uranium Atom

1. What is an electric potential problem involving uranium atom?

An electric potential problem involving uranium atom refers to a scenario in which a uranium atom experiences a change in its electric potential due to the presence of an external electric field. This can happen in various situations, such as in a nuclear reactor or during the process of nuclear fission.

2. How does an external electric field affect the electric potential of a uranium atom?

An external electric field can cause a change in the distribution of electrons and protons within a uranium atom, resulting in a change in its electric potential. This change can either increase or decrease the electric potential of the atom, depending on the direction and strength of the electric field.

3. What factors influence the electric potential of a uranium atom?

The electric potential of a uranium atom is influenced by several factors, including the number of protons and electrons in the atom, the distance between the nucleus and the electrons, and the presence of any external electric fields or other atoms nearby.

4. How is the electric potential of a uranium atom calculated?

The electric potential of a uranium atom can be calculated using the Coulomb's law, which states that the electric potential energy between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

5. What are the applications of understanding electric potential problems involving uranium atom?

Understanding electric potential problems involving uranium atom is crucial in various fields, including nuclear energy, nuclear physics, and material science. It is also essential for developing and improving technologies related to nuclear power plants, nuclear weapons, and medical treatments using radiation.