Electric Potential Sign Check

In summary, an external force was used to move a charge from point A to point B. If the charge had 4.86x10^-4 J of kinetic energy when it reached point B, the potential difference between A and B must be -1.90x10^-3 J.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

The work done by an external force to move a -8.50 mu C charge from point a to point b is 1.90×10^-3 J.

If the charge was started from rest and had 4.86×10^-4 J of kinetic energy when it reached point b, what must be the potential difference between a and b?

Homework Equations

V = PE / q
Vba = - W/q

The Attempt at a Solution

If the charge started from rest, all the energy it had was potential energy which got converted to kinetic energy at point b.

V = 4.86 x 10^-4 / -8.50 x 10^-6 C
V at point a = -57.176

Vb - (-51.176 V) = -1.90 X 10^-3 J / -8.5 X 10^-6 C

Vb + 51.716 V = 223.5 V
Vb = 165.76 (166 V)

I use MasteringPhysics and it told me the answer should have been negative but I don't understand why. My book states "When the electric force does positive work on a charge, the kinetic energy increases and the potential energy decreases. The difference in potential energy, PEb - PEb, is equal to the negative of the work, Wba, done by electric field to move the charge from a to b."

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't see how you can know the potential energy at a particular point - what are you using for your zero of PE?

From the looks of the numbers - the applied force did much more work than the resultant kinetic energy ... so the charge must have been encountering an opposing force, which means the motion was against an opposing potential. Thus Vb < Va (since negative charges roll uphill).

Simon Bridge - Thank you, that makes sense. Initially, I wasn't entirely sure how to approach the problem. I thought I the zero point was at "B" when all the energy was kinetic.

I thought I the zero point was at "B" when all the energy was kinetic.
However, you also found a distinct value for Vb.

It looks like you found Vb from Vb - Va = 223.5V (and plug in your value for Va). But Vb-Va is the voltage difference you have been asked to find.

Have you tried expressing everything in terms of change in energy?

No, but the next time I come across a problem like this I will express things in terms of ΔU.

OK - have fun ;)

1. What is Electric Potential Sign Check?

Electric Potential Sign Check is a method used to determine the sign of the electric potential at a point in an electric field. It involves analyzing the direction of the electric field and the charge of the particle at the given point.

2. How is Electric Potential Sign Check performed?

To perform Electric Potential Sign Check, you must first determine the direction of the electric field at the given point. Then, you must determine the charge of the particle at that point. If the electric field and charge are in the same direction, the electric potential at that point is positive. If they are in opposite directions, the electric potential is negative.

3. Why is Electric Potential Sign Check important?

Electric Potential Sign Check is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric charges in an electric field. It allows us to determine whether a particle will experience a repulsive or attractive force in a given electric field.

4. Can Electric Potential Sign Check be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Electric Potential Sign Check can be used for both positive and negative charges. The sign of the electric potential will depend on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the particle at the given point.

5. How does Electric Potential Sign Check relate to electric potential energy?

Electric Potential Sign Check is closely related to electric potential energy. The sign of the electric potential at a point will determine whether the electric potential energy of a particle at that point will increase or decrease. A positive electric potential corresponds to an increase in electric potential energy, while a negative electric potential corresponds to a decrease in electric potential energy.