Electric potential with regards to an insulating spherical shell

In summary, an insulating spherical shell with inner radius 25.0 cm and outer radius 60.0 cm carries a charge of +150.0 μC uniformly distributed over its outer surface. Point C is on the outer surface of the shell. By using Gauss' law and considering the spherical symmetry, the electric field outside the sphere can be calculated by finding the surface area of a sphere. Once the electric field is known, it can be integrated to obtain the potential difference between point C and infinity.
duke91
An insulating spherical shell with inner radius 25.0 \rm cm and outer radius 60.0 \rm cm carries a charge of + 150.0 \mu {\rm C} uniformly distributed over its outer surface. Point a is at the center of the shell, point b is on the inner surface and point c is on the outer surface.

What will a voltmeter read if it is connected between c and infinity?

I have no idea how to do this question, at all. I am super stuck, can I please get any pointers or instructions how to do this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

What equations do you have that have something to do with voltage or electric potential?

The formulaI know regarding electric potential is: Va-Vb= integral(E* dl)

Okay.

Can you find E, and integrate E from point c to infinity?

That is where i am stuck... i pretty much get V=q/4pi*epsilon_0r..and then no other clue...

duke91 said:
That is where i am stuck... i pretty much get V=q/4pi*epsilon_0r..and then no other clue...

What else do you need? The question asks for the potential difference and V=q/4pi*epsilon_0r gives it.

Well, for that, since it is from infinity..it isf rom infinity to what? when r is equal to infinity the entire thing goes to 0..but the answer is not zero, I have tried it already, what do I use for the 2nd r?

The question asks for the potential between infinity and point c. You have correctly used r=∞, the other r will be for point c.

In other words, what is r at point c?

There's two things about the problem statement that makes this problem easier than it otherwise could be.
(1) The charge is evenly distributed. The key point here is that there is spherical symmetry.
(2) Point C is on the outer surface of the sphere, as opposed to the inner surface, or somewhere else inside.

Gauss' law states that

[tex]\oint _{S} E \cdot dA = \frac{Q _{enc}}{\epsilon _0}. [/tex]

Due to the spherical symmetry, and due to the fact that point C is on the outer surface (i.e. all the charge in question can be considered to be within the Gaussian surface), it's a fairly easy integral. Use it to obtain E, outside the charged sphere. (Hint: you won't have to actually perform any calculus math to find E. Algebra is all it takes, as long as you know what the surface area of a sphere is.) The beauty of this is that if you're only concerned with point C, you don't need to calculate the electric field anywhere inside the charged sphere (you would have to do that though if you were using the voltmeter to probe points A and/or B though).

Once you have a function for E, you can integrate it to get your potential V, with respect to [tex] \infty [/tex]. The radius's of interest are r = C and r = infinity. This will require actual calculus, but fortunately the integral isn't too tough.

Last edited:

Related to Electric potential with regards to an insulating spherical shell

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electrical energy that a charged particle possesses per unit charge. It is measured in volts (V).

2. What is an insulating spherical shell?

An insulating spherical shell is a hollow object made of a non-conducting material, such as plastic or glass. It is used to enclose and protect electrical components.

3. How does electric potential differ within an insulating spherical shell compared to outside of it?

Within an insulating spherical shell, the electric potential is constant. This means that the electrical energy per unit charge is the same at every point inside the shell. Outside of the shell, the electric potential decreases with distance from the shell due to the influence of the charges inside the shell.

4. How is the electric potential calculated for an insulating spherical shell?

The electric potential for an insulating spherical shell is calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

5. What is the significance of electric potential in an insulating spherical shell?

Electric potential in an insulating spherical shell plays an important role in determining the behavior of charged particles inside and outside of the shell. It also helps in understanding the distribution of charges and the flow of electric current within the shell.