Electrical circuits confirmation

In summary, the homework statement asks if it is correct to find power by multiplying voltage squared by total resistance. The student found power by adding all the individual resistor values and found that it equals the power drawn from the battery.
yesgirl10

Homework Statement

Hi, I just need some confirmation on this question on whether it is correct or not.

Homework Equations

P= V^2/R.
Based on that circuit I was asked to complete the following table and then find the power of the circuit.

The Attempt at a Solution

To find power I did the total voltage squared, divided by the total resistance. However, I was having second thoughts on the total resistance. Is it just all of them added together? Because I was taught that it was just the voltage divided by the current.

P=3^2/10. P=9/10. P=0.9W. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pictures

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• askphysics.jpg
    askphysics.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 406
  • askphysics2.jpg
    askphysics2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 401
You have to add all of the individual I².R terms (or E²/R or V.I products). You cannot simply sum all the resistor values!

There is a check you can do, to confirm you have the right answer. Can you see it?

Oh okay, so everything is alright then? And I am not sure about the check. I know that P=V^2/R as well as P=V(I). So to find the power for the whole circuit I used the total values and both equations gave me the same answer.

yesgirl10 said:
Oh okay, so everything is alright then? And I am not sure about the check. I know that P=V^2/R as well as P=V(I). So to find the power for the whole circuit I used the total values and both equations gave me the same answer.
That will exactly equal the power drawn from the battery, 3.0x0.3 W (EDIT)

You were not given the value of R3, but had to work it out?

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
That will exactly equal the power drawn from the battery, 30x0.3 W

You were not given the value of R3, but had to work it out?

I'm really confused, sorry. :frown: Where did the 30 come from? And I worked it out by doing 0.48V/0.06A. Did I do that part wrong?

yesgirl10 said:
I'm really confused, sorry. :frown: Where did the 30 come from? And I worked it out by doing 0.48V/0.06A. Did I do that part wrong?
Oh, the decimal point went missing. That should be 3.0x 0.3 Watts. That's the power delivered by the battery. It equals the power dissipated by all the resistors.

0.48V/0.06A is correct for R3.

NascentOxygen said:
Oh, the decimal point went missing. That should be 3.0x 0.3 Watts. That's the power delivered by the battery. It equals the power dissipated by all the resistors.

0.48V/0.06A is correct for R3.

Okay, thank you!

1. What is an electrical circuit confirmation?

An electrical circuit confirmation is a process in which a scientist verifies the operation of an electrical circuit by conducting experiments and measurements. It involves testing the circuit's components, connections, and performance to ensure that it is functioning correctly and as intended.

2. Why is electrical circuit confirmation important?

Electrical circuit confirmation is important because it ensures the safety and reliability of the circuit. It also helps to identify any potential issues or malfunctions that may affect the performance of the circuit.

3. How do you confirm an electrical circuit?

To confirm an electrical circuit, a scientist can use various tools and techniques such as multimeters, oscilloscopes, and circuit simulators. They can also perform visual inspections and circuit analysis to confirm the proper functioning of the circuit.

4. What are the common types of electrical circuit confirmation tests?

The most common types of electrical circuit confirmation tests include continuity testing, voltage testing, resistance testing, and capacitance testing. These tests help to check the integrity of the circuit's components and their connections.

5. What are the potential sources of error in electrical circuit confirmation?

The potential sources of error in electrical circuit confirmation include faulty equipment, incorrect measurements, and human error. It is essential to use calibrated and reliable tools and follow proper testing procedures to minimize these errors.