Electrical devices turning themselves on

In summary, the speaker experienced a power surge or dropout that triggered the electrical on/off functionality on all devices that had it. The laptop was not affected due to its battery, and the speaker suspects a nearby factory may have caused the issue. They also mention the possibility of a faulty product from China or being messed with by outside government agencies. The conversation also brings up potential safety concerns with "soft" on/off switches and the use of IOT devices.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I wasn't sure where to put this.

The other night my electric heater turned itself on. It's a duraflame fake fireplace heater. It turned on, the flames turned on, it was 85F at the time and the unit was off, but plugged in. At the same time in a different outlet my internet and tv turned off. My laptop, which was in the same surge protector as the internet and cable did not turn off, but that could be because of the battery. A lamp that was turned on and plugged into the same outlet as the fireplace did not turn off.

I turned everything back on without trouble. I turned off and unplugged the heater.

Any ideas what happened? No storms at the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, one thing that is clear is that it was a power spike (or possibly a dropout) of some kind that triggered electrical on/off functionality on all devices that HAD electrical on/off functionality. That is, your light bulb, which is controlled by mechanical on/off functionality was not affected. I'm sure that it WAS indeed the battery that kept the laptop on by avoiding any affect on the electrical on/off functionality by keeping the power level up.

Are there any factories nearby? It's possible that this was due to someone switching on a very heavy-load inductive device (big motor most likely)

Last edited:
Likes Evo
That is the problem with "soft" On/Off switches. Don't keep flammables on a stove top with "soft" On/Off switches.

Likes Evo
Many modern on/off switches are better described as on/less on.

Likes Evo, Bystander and phinds
Digital poltergeists?
Traveling through a bad spot in the universe?
You are being messed with by outside govt agencies?

The stuff is made in china and is probably breaking?

All of the above?

Likes epenguin and Evo
Neutral/Earth problems can produce interesting things, maybe worth to call somebody to check?

Likes Evo
Evo said:
duraflame fake fireplace heater.
Do you have the model number? Some time back, Duraflame had a recall for one of their fireplaces that tended to catch on fire, but the cites I read didn't go into the failure mode particulars.

Likes Evo
Asymptotic said:
Do you have the model number? Some time back, Duraflame had a recall for one of their fireplaces that tended to catch on fire, but the cites I read didn't go into the failure mode particulars.
I'll have to check that.
phinds said:
Are there any factories nearby? It's possible that this was due to someone switching on a very heavy-load inductive device (big motor most likely)
Yes, I am near a huge factory, I can hear it operating at night, sounds very spooky. I have unplugged everything around the house that isn't in use. I have heard of power surges turning things OFF, but this is the first time I had something turn ON. It was a wake up call.

Evo said:
... I am near a huge factory
Well, that most likely explains it then. It's possible that they have installed a new machine very recently so you should keep an eye out for this sort of thing in the short term. With luck it won't happen again. If it does you should contact the power company and see if there's anything they can do for you.

All this even without an IOT equipped heater. Once that is in place we might be able hack each other's devices and turn them on
MUHa Ha Ha Ha.

What causes electrical devices to turn themselves on?

The most common cause of electrical devices turning themselves on is a power surge or fluctuation in the electrical supply. This can happen due to faulty wiring, lightning strikes, or power grid issues.

How can I prevent my electrical devices from turning themselves on?

To prevent electrical devices from turning themselves on, it is important to use surge protectors and ensure that all electrical wiring and outlets are in good condition. Unplugging devices when not in use can also help prevent them from turning on unexpectedly.

Can software or programming cause electrical devices to turn on by themselves?

Yes, software or programming can cause electrical devices to turn on by themselves. This is often seen in smart home devices that can be controlled remotely through a smartphone or voice assistant. Errors in the software or programming can cause the device to turn on without the user's command.

Are there any safety concerns with electrical devices turning themselves on?

Yes, there can be safety concerns with electrical devices turning themselves on. If left unattended, these devices can pose a fire hazard. It is important to regularly check and maintain all electrical devices to ensure they are functioning properly and not turning on unexpectedly.

Can electrical devices turning themselves on be a sign of a larger electrical issue?

In some cases, yes, electrical devices turning themselves on can be a sign of a larger electrical issue. It is important to consult a licensed electrician if this problem persists, as it could indicate faulty wiring or other issues that pose a safety hazard.