Electrical engineering vs. computer science

In summary, the individual is a sophomore in college and is considering majoring in either electrical engineering or computer science. They have been warned by their CS advisor that the computer engineering degree is too scattered and should focus on EE or CS. They are currently taking classes in Discrete Math and Ordinary Differential Equations, finding the former more intellectually stimulating. They are also interested in game development, but unsure if a CS degree is more respected than an EE degree. They are seeking advice on which path to choose and value any recommendations.
NuclearTide
Hi there,

I'm a sophomore in college and I'm split between electrical engineering and computer science. There's computer engineering at my school as well, but my CS advisor warned that the CoE degree is too scattered and that I should concentrate on EE or CS.

I know that ultimately it's about my personal preference, but does anybody have some advice? I'm taking Discrete Math and Ordinary Differential Equations this semester, and I find ODE to be painstakingly boring while Discrete Math is much more intellectually stimulating. I'm also taking Data Structures, and from what I've heard, this class is a really important class if I want to work as a programmer.

Having been to a Maker Faire, I know that there's a lot of cool hardware to work on as an EE. I understand that EE is a vast field, and that there's an energy focus and an information focus. I also appreciate the fact that electrical engineers have more in common with physicists and scientists, while computer science is closer to mathematics.

The only reason I'm interested in CS is because of the possibility of going into game development. If I decide to go for CS, it'll be three years of developing my coding skills (with computer architecture, theoretical CS, and other upper-level CS topics on as well). I have this personal dream of taking an artistic approach and treating video games as art, and a CS degree would give me a solid technical foundation. But I feel like an EE degree is more respected than a CS degree, and I'm also aware that the software industry/Silicon Valley is incredibly fickle. Besides, someone's going to come up with the next big thing eventually, and people will stop talking about Facebook and social media and whatnot.

What do you think I should do? I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting squander... I was in a similar position.

I am no expert but I don't think you should take CS for programming. You don't need a degree if you want to be a programmer. I suggest reading some popular science books regarding these subjects. I highly recommend Godel Escher Bach by Dougls Hofstadter I think it give quite a feel about computer science.

1. What is the main difference between electrical engineering and computer science?

The main difference between electrical engineering and computer science is their focus and application. Electrical engineering primarily deals with the design and development of electrical systems, including power generation, transmission, and distribution. On the other hand, computer science focuses on the design and development of software and computing systems. While there is some overlap between the two fields, they have distinct areas of focus and application.

2. Which field has better career prospects, electrical engineering or computer science?

Both electrical engineering and computer science have excellent career prospects. However, the demand for computer science professionals has been steadily increasing in recent years due to the rapid advancement of technology and the growing reliance on computers and software in various industries. On the other hand, electrical engineering remains a highly sought-after field, particularly in industries such as energy, telecommunications, and electronics.

3. Can someone with an electrical engineering degree work in the field of computer science, and vice versa?

Yes, individuals with an electrical engineering degree can work in the field of computer science, and vice versa. While their backgrounds may be different, both fields require strong problem-solving skills and a solid foundation in mathematics and physics. With some additional training and experience, a professional in one field can easily transition to the other.

4. Which field offers better salary potential, electrical engineering or computer science?

Both fields offer high salary potential, and it ultimately depends on the specific job role and industry. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for electrical engineers in 2020 was $98,530, while computer and information technology occupations had a median annual wage of $91,250. However, salaries can vary significantly based on experience, location, and industry, so it is essential to research specific job roles and companies for accurate salary information.

5. Can someone with a background in both electrical engineering and computer science have an advantage in the job market?

Having a background in both electrical engineering and computer science can be advantageous in the job market, as it allows for a diverse skill set and a broader range of job opportunities. Professionals with knowledge and experience in both fields are highly sought after in industries that require a combination of hardware and software expertise, such as robotics, automation, and embedded systems. Additionally, having a background in both fields can make it easier to adapt to new technologies and roles in the future.