Electricity and Magnetism Review Book

In summary, a student in an electricity and magnetism physics course is looking for a review book with a focus on problem solving and examples instead of theory. They are currently using the 8th edition of Serway and are covering topics such as electrical fields, Gauss's Law, and electromagnetic waves. A possible recommendation is the Schaum's Outline series, specifically "3,000 Solved Problems in Physics" by Halpern.
fatherlewis
I'm currently in an electricity and magnetism physics course and we're using the 8th edition of Serway.

I'm looking for a review type book that focuses on problem solving with examples and explanations rather than theory.

Here are the topics we are covering throughout the course:
23: Electrical Fields
24: Gauss's Law
25: Electrical Potential
26: Capacitance and Dieletrics
27: Current and Resistance
28: Direct Current Circuits
29: Magnetic Fields
30: Sources of the Magnetic Field
31: Faraday's Law
32: Inductance
33: Alternating Current Circuits
34: Electromagnetic Waves

Can you recommend me a book to help in my studies please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out the Schaum's Outline series. For example: 3,000 Solved Problems in Physics by Halpern.

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons. It can be found in nature, such as in lightning strikes, or can be harnessed for use in everyday devices.

2. How do electricity and magnetism relate to each other?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related phenomena. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electrical currents. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

3. What are the differences between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is constantly changing direction, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in one direction. AC is used in most household and commercial electrical systems, while DC is often used in smaller devices such as batteries.

4. How do electric circuits work?

An electric circuit is a closed loop that allows electrons to flow through it. The flow of electrons creates an electrical current, which can power devices such as light bulbs or motors. Circuits can be simple, with just a few components, or complex, with many interconnected parts.

5. What are some practical applications of electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism have countless applications in our daily lives. Some common examples include lighting, electronics, transportation, communication, and medical equipment. They are also used in more advanced technologies such as renewable energy sources and particle accelerators.