Electricity, finding voltage and resistance

In summary: Using that then, v0 = (12V)(40 ohms)/(70 ohms + 40 ohms + 200 ohms) = 2.29 VIn summary, a voltage divider circuit can be designed to provide an output voltage of 5V from a 12V source with a current of 100mA. By using the equation V = IR, the values of R1 and R2 can be found to be 70 ohms and 50 ohms, respectively. When a load resistance of 200 ohms is connected across the output terminals, the value of v0 can be found using the voltage divider equation once again, taking into account the new total resistance in the circuit. The result is a new
Adeel Ahmad

Homework Statement

Design a voltage divider circuit to provide an output voltage v0 = 5V from a 12V source. The current taken from the 12V source is to be 100mA.
a)Find the values of R1 and R2.
b)Now suppose a load resistance of 200 ohms is connected across the output terminals (in parallel with R2). Find the value of v0.
media%2F29c%2F29cffba0-43e6-4398-b36c-dc97d11ba8af%2FphplfRwNM.png

2. Homework Equations

V = IR
V1 = VR1/(R1+R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I would assume that I would use the above equation V1 = VR1/(R1+R2), but I am stuck on what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
The picture above was taken from online, but the voltages written in the question are the correct voltages to be used. Disregard the voltage given in the picture

If the current taken from the 12 V source is 100 mA, how much current flows through ##R_1##?

Likes Adeel Ahmad
gneill said:
If the current taken from the 12 V source is 100 mA, how much current flows through ##R_1##?
Is it 100 mA because it is in series, so current is constant?

Adeel Ahmad said:
Is it 100 mA because it is in series, so current is constant?
Yes. How many volts does ##R_1## have to drop from 12 V in order for there to be 5 V at the output?

Likes Adeel Ahmad
gneill said:
Yes. How many volts does ##R_1## have to drop from 12 V in order for there to be 5 V at the output?
That would be 7V, so R1 = V/I = 7V/.1A = 70 ohms?

Adeel Ahmad said:
That would be 7V, so R1 = V/I = 7V/.1A = 70 ohms?
That's right. Handle ##R_2## in the same manner.

Likes Adeel Ahmad
gneill said:
That's right. Handle ##R_2## in the same manner.
So for R2, V = 5V since voltage needs to add up when in series. Therefore, R2 = V/I = 5V/.1A = 50 ohms?

Adeel Ahmad said:
So for R2, V = 5V since voltage needs to add up when in series. Therefore, R2 = V/I = 5V/.1A = 50 ohms?
Sure. Check your results using the Relevant equation that you gave in your first post. Make sure you use the right resistance values in the right places in that equation!

Likes Adeel Ahmad
gneill said:
Sure. Check your results using the Relevant equation that you gave in your first post. Make sure you use the right resistance values in the right places in that equation!
Ok, so I am not entirely sure if this is correct for part B, but I did, v0 = VR3/(R2+R3) = (5V)(200 ohms)/(200 ohms + 50 ohms) = 4V

Adeel Ahmad said:
Ok, so I am not entirely sure if this is correct for part B, but I did, v0 = VR3/(R2+R3) = (5V)(200 ohms)/(200 ohms + 50 ohms) = 4V
50 ohms being from R2

Adeel Ahmad said:

No, you should combine the new resistance with the ##R_2## first, then apply the voltage divider equation to the new circuit.

Adding the additional load to the original voltage divider circuit will change the amount of current being drawn from the 12 V source, so the drop across ##R_1## must change; The 5 V you calculated previously for the output of the divider no longer holds.

gneill said:
No, you should combine the new resistance with the ##R_2## first, then apply the voltage divider equation to the new circuit.

Adding the additional load to the original voltage divider circuit will change the amount of current being drawn from the 12 V source, so the drop across ##R_1## must change; The 5 V you calculated previously for the output of the divider no longer holds.
So what voltage would I use in the voltage divider equation? Would it be the original 12 V?

Adeel Ahmad said:
So what voltage would I use in the voltage divider equation? Would it be the original 12 V?
Yes. The source hasn't changed.

Edit: You're new circuit looks like this:

upload_2016-9-17_11-58-55.png

gneill said:
Yes. The source hasn't changed.

Edit: You're new circuit looks like this:

View attachment 106134
Using that then, I do V = (12V)(40 ohms) / (70 ohms + 40 ohms) = 4.36 V and that doesn't appear right

Adeel Ahmad said:
Using that then, I do V = (12V)(40 ohms) / (70 ohms + 40 ohms) = 4.36 V and that doesn't appear right
And yet it is!

If you are interested in playing around with these sorts of problems and checking your results, you might consider getting a copy of a circuit simulation software where you can "wire up" the circuit and see how it behaves, check voltages and currents and so on.

There are free software packages that you can download. For example, LTSpice is used by many people.

1. What is electricity and how does it work?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It works by the movement of electrons from one atom to another, creating a flow of electricity. This flow of electricity can be harnessed for various purposes such as powering electronic devices.

2. How do I find the voltage in a circuit?

Voltage, also known as electrical potential difference, is measured in volts and can be found by using a voltmeter. To find the voltage in a circuit, you need to connect the voltmeter in parallel with the component you want to measure. The reading on the voltmeter will give you the voltage in that particular part of the circuit.

3. What is resistance and how does it affect electricity?

Resistance is the measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current through a material. It is measured in ohms and is affected by factors such as the material, length, and cross-sectional area of the conductor. Higher resistance means there is a lower flow of electricity through a circuit.

4. How do I calculate resistance in a circuit?

To calculate resistance, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be represented by the equation R=V/I. You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance in a circuit.

5. How can I decrease the resistance in a circuit?

There are a few ways to decrease resistance in a circuit. One way is by using thicker wires with a larger cross-sectional area, as this reduces the resistance. Another way is by using materials with lower resistance, such as copper instead of steel. Additionally, you can decrease the length of the conductor to decrease resistance.