Electroless nickel coating of confined spaces

In summary, the individual is conducting experiments with electroless nickel coating on free machining brass, using a 2V DC current for the first 20 seconds. They have successfully obtained good quality coating on the outside surface in scenario I, but are unable to do so on the inside or outside surface in scenario II. They were, however, able to achieve coating on all surfaces in scenario III where the brass was cut into two halves. The individual is seeking help in understanding why they are unable to coat the inside surface in scenario II, despite using the same cleaning and etching procedure. It is suggested to use active agitation, such as mild ultrasound or a vibrating table, to improve the coating process. Full circulation of the electrolyte or active jet
AligatorAmy
Hi,
I am conducting some experiments with the electroless nickel (EN) coating of the free machining brass (high lead contain material, which is not good for coating but I must use this material).
After surface cleaning and etching procedure, once the brass is submerged in the EN coating solution, I apply approx. 2V DC to kick off the process (for first 20 seconds). Positive is connected to mild steel anode and negative to brass.
I have successfully kicked off my process and obtained good quality coating for scenario I (a few times), outlined on the attached draft, but only at 'outside' brass surface (as expected).
In scenario II (see draft) I am not able to kick off the process on 'inside' or 'outside' surface.
Finally, in scenario III, where brass is cut into two halves, I was able to kick off the process at all surfaces of the brass and get the EN coating ('inside' and 'outside').

I do not understand why I cannot kick off the EN coating process for scenario II.
The inside cavity of the brass is small, thus there is limited amount of nickel in the solution there for coating, but would that be the reason of no coating at all?
Any ideas why?

P.S. Inside and outside surfaces of the brass are cleaned, etched and rinsed with use of the same procedure.

Please help. Thanks.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 466
Engineering news on Phys.org
You need active agitation .

Mild application of ultrasound would be ideal but failing that use a standard lab vibrating table .

Real etching and plating systems often have full circulation of the electrolyte and/or active jetting of the electrolyte onto the surfaces being worked on .

Likes David Godwin

1. What is electroless nickel coating?

Electroless nickel coating is a process in which a thin layer of nickel is deposited onto a substrate without the use of an electrical current. This is achieved through a chemical reaction that causes the nickel ions to be reduced and deposited onto the surface.

2. How is electroless nickel coating applied to confined spaces?

Electroless nickel coating can be applied to confined spaces using specialized equipment, such as spray guns or dip tanks. These tools allow for precise application of the coating onto the surface of the confined space.

3. What are the benefits of electroless nickel coating for confined spaces?

Electroless nickel coating offers several benefits for confined spaces, including corrosion resistance, wear resistance, and improved lubricity. It also provides a uniform coating, even in hard-to-reach areas of the confined space.

4. What types of confined spaces are commonly coated with electroless nickel?

Some examples of confined spaces that may benefit from electroless nickel coating include pipes, tubing, valves, and other complex shapes or structures. It can also be applied to components in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using electroless nickel coating in confined spaces?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when using electroless nickel coating in confined spaces. This may include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring proper ventilation, and following proper disposal procedures for any chemicals used in the coating process.