Electrolysis and concentration cells

In summary: The difference between a concentration cell and a galvanic/voltaic cell is that a galvanic/voltaic cell has a higher potential. The half reactions in a voltaic cell are ion and electron flow, while in a concentration cell it is only ion flow.
AnathemaXI
What exactly is the difference between a concentration cell and galvanic/voltaic cell? How do you know what are the half reactions? Also, is the ion and electron flow the same found in voltaic cells or is it the opposite?

My biggest question of electrolysis has to do with Cl species.

Here's an example:

What appears at the cathode and anode after the electrolysis of SnCl2

I've got this part down:

Cathode:
Sn2+ +2e =>Sn E: -.14
Water: E:-.83

Anode:
2Cl-=>Cl2 + 2e : 1.36
Water: 1.229

I understand how Sn appears, but why does Cl appear? it has a larger reduction potential meaning it would stand a lesser chance of being oxidized yet for whatever reason every book says that it's more reactive but I don't understand why. Is this the case every time?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Overpotential and kinetics. Most electrode reactions involving water/oxygen are just notoriously slow. To speed them up you have to apply higher potential, when you apply higher potential, you are in the realm of Cl- oxidation.

So - your thinking based on potentials is right, just the reality is more complex than that.

--

Oh ok, so it's just because the Cl and hydrogen potentials are so close, that going a little over will create the Cl in the end. So if the reduction potentials are fairly far apart, the water products will form instead eve if it is slow?

Such as Fe3+ + e => Fe2+?

Huh? If there is reduction going on, something must be oxidized as well. In water solution of tin chloride, if there are no other things present, it is either water of chlorides that WILL be oxidized. If you add something else - it may change the situation.

I'm just saying, that just because the oxidation potentials of Cl- ad H2O are close, the Cl will appear b/c of it's high reactivity.

But if we're electrolyzing FeF2, the products of the H2O reaction will appear at the anode since there is a big difference between it and the Fe products. Am I on the right track by judging off the reduction table potentials?

1. What is electrolysis and how does it work?

Electrolysis is a chemical process in which an electric current is used to drive a non-spontaneous reaction. This is achieved by passing the current through an electrolyte, which is a substance that can conduct electricity. The current causes a chemical change in the electrolyte, resulting in the separation of its components into ions.

2. What is a concentration cell and how does it differ from an electrolytic cell?

A concentration cell is a type of electrochemical cell that generates an electric current due to a difference in concentration of the electrolyte between two compartments. This is different from an electrolytic cell, which uses an external power source to drive a non-spontaneous reaction.

3. What are the applications of electrolysis and concentration cells?

Electrolysis has many practical applications, such as in the production of metals, purification of metals, and in the production of hydrogen gas. Concentration cells are commonly used in batteries and fuel cells, as well as in sensors and electronic devices.

4. How does the concentration of the electrolyte affect the output of a concentration cell?

The concentration of the electrolyte directly affects the output of a concentration cell. A higher concentration gradient between the two compartments results in a higher voltage and current output. However, if the concentration difference becomes too large, the cell may become unstable and stop functioning.

5. What are the factors that affect the efficiency of electrolysis and concentration cells?

The efficiency of electrolysis and concentration cells can be affected by various factors, such as the concentration gradient, temperature, electrode materials, and the type of electrolyte used. High concentrations, elevated temperatures, and the use of suitable electrodes can increase the efficiency of these cells.