Electrolysis, water, and various metals

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving measuring the resistance of seawater and the observation of the electrolysis process. The water initially turned rust-colored and then black as a result of the reaction between oxygen and metal in the alligator clips. The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding the chemical properties of materials in experiments.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
I did an experiment, prompted by another thread, and saw something you kids probably see all the time:

pf.2013.08.11.1144am..om.nacl.h2o.pb.battery.experiment.jpg

I was trying to measure the resistance of seawater, and came up with ≈11Ω. End of experiment, or so I thought...

But then I decided that my battery voltage was a bit low and decided to charge it up properly with my 1200 watt charger.

When I was doing this, I decided to do another experiment, and plunged the battery post sized alligator clips into the water for a moment, and saw that the electrolysis effect was about the same. meh. Nothing exciting there. So I went back to charging the battery.

When I came out 30 minutes later, the water in my pyrex was rust colored, and there was a 1/4 inch precipitate of rust colored stuff at the bottom.

I was once again puzzled, and did it again. I plunged the clips into my pseudo-ocean water, and several seconds later, the water turned almost black!

That was a bit ago, and when I went out again, the rust had precipitated to both the top and bottom, there was a black film around the top, and the middle was semi-clear.

I imagine that with chrome plated steel clips crimped to copper wiring attached to lead posts in an oxygen laden atmosphere, that the fluffy white stuff I saw disappear during this 2nd half of my experiment were some types of metal-oxides.

hmmmm...

Sorry for the rant, but if anyone knows why the water turned black, I won't have to google that in the morning.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Hello,

First of all, thank you for sharing your experiment with us. It is always exciting to see someone actively engaging in scientific inquiry.

Based on your description, it seems like you have observed the process of electrolysis in action. When electricity is passed through a liquid, it can cause a chemical reaction to occur. In this case, the electricity from the battery is breaking down the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas. The oxygen gas then reacts with the metal in your alligator clips, causing the rust-colored precipitate to form.

The reason why the water turned black is likely due to the formation of iron oxide (also known as rust) from the reaction between the oxygen and the metal in the alligator clips. The fluffy white stuff you saw disappearing could also be a result of this reaction.

Overall, your experiment has shown the importance of understanding the chemical properties of the materials we use in our experiments. It is also a great reminder of how even small changes, like using a fully charged battery, can have a significant impact on our results.

I hope this helps answer your question. Keep up the great work and keep exploring the world of science!

What is electrolysis?

Electrolysis is a process in which an electric current is used to drive a non-spontaneous chemical reaction. This is achieved by passing an electric current through a substance, usually an electrolyte solution, to cause the breakdown of the substance into its component parts.

How does electrolysis work?

In electrolysis, an electric current is used to drive an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction. The substance to be broken down is placed in an electrolytic cell, which contains two electrodes (anode and cathode) connected to an external power source. The electrodes are placed in the substance and the electric current causes the substance to be reduced at the cathode and oxidized at the anode, resulting in the breakdown of the substance into its component parts.

What is the role of water in electrolysis?

Water is often used as an electrolyte in electrolysis because it can easily be broken down into hydrogen and oxygen gas. When an electric current is passed through water, it causes the water molecules to split into their component parts, hydrogen and oxygen. This process is known as water electrolysis and is used in various industrial processes, such as hydrogen production.

Which metals are commonly used in electrolysis?

The most commonly used metals in electrolysis are those that are more reactive than hydrogen, such as sodium, potassium, and calcium. These metals are often found in their ionic form in nature and can be extracted through electrolysis. Other metals that are commonly used in electrolysis include copper, zinc, and aluminum.

What are the practical applications of electrolysis?

Electrolysis has various practical applications, including metal extraction, production of chemicals such as chlorine and sodium hydroxide, purification of metals, and hydrogen production. It is also used in electroplating, where a thin layer of one metal is deposited onto the surface of another metal. Additionally, electrolysis is used in batteries and fuel cells for energy storage and conversion.