Electromagnet Design for Separating Ferrous Material from an Ore Mixture

In summary, the conversation involved a person who was tasked with designing an electromagnet to remove ferrous material from an ore mixture. They calculated the required flux density for the task and were struggling to determine the flux density at a distance from the core. They were looking for an equation to accurately predict the flux density and were considering using modeling software. The expert suggested following calculations and using a factor of ten for good measure.
Matthew Howard
Good day

I've been the task of designing an electromagnet to remove ferrous material from ore mixture. I've calculated the flux density require to remove the particle from underneath a burden depth of 400mm; which is 792.7177 Gauss. (Force index is: 1.5710*10^6 G^2/m)

However what I've been struggling with is determining the flux density generated by the electromagnet at distance x from the core (400mm). I need to design it with respect to:

Inner coil diameter
Height of core and coil
Number of turns
Current

From my understand the best way to solve this problem is to model it on modelling software. ut if anyone could give me an equation that would be able to accurately predict the flux density. I would be most grateful and please correct me if my values above are incorrect. I am new to electromagnets.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Matthew, :welcome:

Your task is honorable but far from simple for a newbie. What tools do you have to help you with the design ? Any 'getting started' stuff from colleagues (or competitors, or equipment vendors) ?

Can you follow the calculations such as these ? (In your case the gap is relatively huge, so I don't know how good the expressions will be...)

As a physicist I'd say that the 40 cm is one digit accuracy, so you need at least 800 Gauss , not 792.7177 . But If I were you I'd add a factor of ten just for good measure, to pull the stuff from underneath a layer of heavy sediments...
In fact I'd redesign to pull them from a much thinner layer, like e.g 10 cm on a conveyor belt or something.

Start from this one:
http://maurermagnetic.ch/PDF/White-Paper-E-magnetic-attraction-particles.pdf

What is an electromagnet design?

An electromagnet design is a method of creating a magnetic field using an electric current. It involves wrapping a wire around a magnetic core and passing an electric current through the wire to create a magnetic field.

How does an electromagnet separate ferrous material from an ore mixture?

When an electric current is passed through an electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field attracts ferrous materials, such as iron and steel, from the ore mixture and separates them from the non-ferrous materials.

What factors should be considered when designing an electromagnet for separating ferrous material from an ore mixture?

Some important factors to consider when designing an electromagnet for this purpose include the strength of the magnetic field, the shape and size of the magnetic core, the number of turns in the wire, and the amount of electric current passing through the wire.

What are the benefits of using an electromagnet for separating ferrous material from an ore mixture?

Electromagnets offer several advantages over other methods of separating ferrous materials from an ore mixture. They are highly efficient, cost-effective, and can be easily controlled and adjusted for different materials and conditions.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using an electromagnet for this purpose?

One potential drawback of using an electromagnet for separating ferrous material from an ore mixture is that it requires a constant supply of electric current to maintain the magnetic field. If the power source fails, the separation process will stop. Additionally, the magnetic field may not be strong enough to separate very small or very large particles, requiring additional methods to be used in conjunction with the electromagnet.