Electromagnet for an Arduino board?

In summary, the individual needs help calculating the specifications for an electromagnet that can lift 1/2 - 1kg using a current of 100mA or 200mA provided by an Arduino. They also inquire about the best material for the core and how to calculate it. They mention a DIY project of building Thor's Hammer using an Arduino to control the magnet and a 60-volt solid-state relay. They express their excitement for using Arduino in future projects such as automated window blinds and a moving TV with a linear actuator. They also provide a link to a solenoid that could work for the job and mention the option of winding their own electromagnet.
jms4
I need to make an electromagnet that would generate a force to lift 1/2-1kg, and would use a current of 100mA, if not possible 200mA would be fine as an Arduino supplies a maximum of 500mA and 5V, and if 1kg is not possible then 1/2Kg would be fine, please help me in my calculation. and which material would make the best core, and please tell me how to calculate it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might something in the DIY project building Thor's Hammer:

http://www.popsci.com/only-you-can-lift-this-superheroic-hammer

They use the arduino to control the magnet not to provide the current for the magnet. Notice in the article's diagram that there is one 9v powering the arduino and the other four 9v batteries are really 12v batteries to power the magnet.

This part is controlled by the arduino and flips the switch to activate the magnet.
  • 60-volt solid-state relay

Likes jsgruszynski, Brandon91man and (deleted member)
These are the types of projects that get me pumped up over Arduino! I'd love to be able to make projects in Arduino and apply them to my house someday. Like automated window blinds, umbrellas with rain sensors that open when raining, a moving TV with a linear actuator, etc.
(Also I've never made a comment that wasn't a question or an answer in physics forums. I apologize if that's not what I was supposed to do)

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This creates a magnetic field that can attract or repel objects.

2. How does an electromagnet work with an Arduino board?

An electromagnet can be controlled by an Arduino board by using a transistor to switch the flow of electricity to the coil on and off. By controlling the current, the strength of the magnetic field can be adjusted.

3. What is the purpose of using an electromagnet with an Arduino board?

Using an electromagnet with an Arduino board allows for precise control and manipulation of the magnetic field. This can be useful in various applications such as robotics, magnetic levitation, and sensing.

4. How do I connect an electromagnet to an Arduino board?

To connect an electromagnet to an Arduino board, you will need to connect one end of the coil to a digital pin on the board and the other end to a ground pin. You will also need to add a transistor and a diode to control the flow of electricity to the coil.

5. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when working with an electromagnet and an Arduino board?

When working with an electromagnet and an Arduino board, it is important to use a power supply that can handle the current needed for the coil. It is also important to use caution when handling strong magnets, as they can cause injury if they snap together. Additionally, make sure to properly insulate and secure all wiring to avoid any potential hazards.