Electromagnetic emission lines for a hydrogen atom

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding the initial principle quantum number associated with the transitions of a hydrogen atom's electromagnetic emission lines. The formula ΔE=Ry(1/(ni)2 - 1/(nf)2)) is used to attempt a solution, along with another formula En,l = -Ry/(n-δl)2. The conversation also mentions the use of reference tables for exam practice, and the importance of checking the placement of ni and nf in the equation.
Jdraper

Homework Statement

Hi, I've been unable to find a relevant thread for a question that I've been stuck on for a couple of days now.

Here it is;

One of the electromagnetic emission lines for a hydrogen atom has wavelength 389nm. Assiming that this is a line from one of the Lyman (nf =1 ), Balmer (nf = 2) or Paschen (nf =3) series, what is the initial principle quantum number associated with the transitions? The Rydberg energy can be assumed to be 13.6eV

Homework Equations

ΔE=Ry(1/(ni)2 - 1/(nf)2))
Ry=13.6eV

This is the formula used to attempt a solution

There is another formula in my notes that may be helpful but i do not understand the symbols within it, it is;
En,l = -Ry/(n-δl)2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation ΔE=Ry(1/(ni)2 - 1/(nf)2)) and then equating this change in energy to the energy of light E=hc/λ.
Ry=13.6eV
Then I insert various nf 's e.g. nf =1 for Lyman, then i would solve this for ni to see if i get an integer number, indicating that this is correct. I do this for nf =1,2 and 3 and I have never got an integer number leading me to believe my method is incorrect.

Any help or insight would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance, John.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention doing these questions are purely for exam practice. So having the tables will no be an option.

How would i do this in an exam? Simply put the numbers in as i have done and then chose the one which is closest to an integer value to be the correct one?

Thank, John

Jdraper said:
Using the equation ΔE=Ry(1/(ni)2 - 1/(nf)2))

Check your equation in regard to the placement of ni and nf.

I think your approach to the problem is good.

Likes Jdraper
Ahh, yes, the ni and nf are the wrong way around. Thanks for your help :)

1. What are electromagnetic emission lines?

Electromagnetic emission lines are specific wavelengths of light that are emitted by an atom when its electrons move from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. These lines are unique for each element and can be used to identify the presence of certain elements in a sample.

2. How are electromagnetic emission lines produced in a hydrogen atom?

In a hydrogen atom, when an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, it releases energy in the form of light. This light has a specific wavelength, corresponding to a specific electromagnetic emission line, which can be observed using a spectroscope.

3. What causes the different colors of electromagnetic emission lines?

The different colors of electromagnetic emission lines are caused by the different wavelengths of light that are emitted by an atom. The shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy of the light and the bluer the color. Likewise, longer wavelengths have lower energies and appear redder in color.

4. How are electromagnetic emission lines used in scientific research?

Electromagnetic emission lines are used in a variety of scientific research fields, including astronomy, chemistry, and physics. By observing the unique patterns of emission lines from different elements, scientists can identify the composition of distant stars, determine the chemical makeup of substances, and study the behavior of atoms and molecules.

5. What is the significance of the Balmer series in hydrogen emission lines?

The Balmer series is a set of four specific wavelengths of light that are emitted by hydrogen atoms when their electrons move from higher energy levels to the second energy level. These lines have been extensively studied and their wavelengths are used as a standard in spectroscopy experiments, making them an important tool for scientists to analyze and identify elements.