Electromagnetic induction in current loops

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wire placed in an external AC magnetic field and folded into two rings with different resistances. The equation for the current in the loop is derived in terms of the induced emfs E1 and E2. The individual's question is how to calculate the potential difference between the two points at the bottom of the loop. The solution involves using Faraday's Law and the closed loop integral of the electric field. It is clarified that there is no fixed potential in this scenario, but rather an EMF gained by taking one turn around the wire. The conversation also includes a diagram and further clarification on the potential difference between the two points.
phys

would be really grateful if someone could help throw some light on this - its probably really simple but I am typing myself up in loops!

I have a piece of wire which is placed in an external AC magnetic field which is varying sinusoidally. The wire is folded to make two rings of radii r1 and r2 with resistances R1 and R2. (see picture below) I have derived an equation for the current in the loop in terms of the emfs E1 and E2 induced in the 2 parts of the loops. I think that this is I = (E1+E2)/(R1+R2)

I want to work out potential difference between the two parts of the loop at their crossing point in terms of the same variables - any ideas on how I would approach this? Thank you very much

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 18.55.43.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 18.55.43.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
phys said:
I want to work out potential difference between the two parts of the loop at their crossing point
Between which two points?

The bottom point of each loop

I don't understand the question. You can calculate the EMF, i.e., the vorticity of the em. field (it's not a voltage!) according to Faraday's Law
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{B}.$$
In integrated form it's
$$\int_{\partial A} \mathrm{d} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{E}=-\frac{1}{c} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \int_A \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{B}=-\frac{1}{c} \dot{\Phi}.$$
Here you run around two loops, i.e., the total flux is the sum of the fluxes through the small and the large loop.

@vanhees71 is correct. Imagine you are sitting at the bottom point of the two loops. Let's say your potential is zero. Now you go in the direction of the electric field in the loop, around the small loop then around the big loop and you return to the point you were at. Now what is the potential you have gained. It is the closed loop integral of E.dl which is simply the time derivative of the sum of the fluxes through both loops. So if you AC field is $$Bsin(\omega t)$$ then the sum of your fluxes is $$Bsin(\omega t)\pi r_{1}^{2}+Bsin(\omega t)\pi r_{2}^{2}$$

Then $$\oint{E}{dl}=Bcos(\omega t)\omega \pi(r_{1}^{2}+r_{2}^{2})=$$ difference in potential

Your formula for current is correct, by the way.

Perhaps I should have emphasized more that there is no potential here, because ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} \neq 0##. It's an EMF, not a voltage!

Yes, you are right in that. There is no fixed potential assigned to every point in space as such. I meant the EMF "gained" on taking one turn around the length of the wire. Of course this is lost due the resistance.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks everyone!
The two loops are actually one loop - in the sense that it is one piece of wire.
I want to work out the pd between the two points which are at the bottom - I think that an equivalent circuit is the diagram below.
I therefore want to work out the pd between the two points that I have crossed.
I'm probably wrong but would the pd just be E1 if the current was anticlockwise or E2 if the current was clockwise?
If the field is Bsinwt would this mean that the pd changes between E1 and E2?

and now with the image!

Attachments

• 20170404_171028.jpg
    20170404_171028.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 342
Yes, if suppose the emf in the small loop is E1 and you go over the portion of the loop that is the small circle the pd will be E1. If you go over the portion that is the big circle the pd will be E2. It all depends on what your path is.

Related to Electromagnetic induction in current loops

1. What is electromagnetic induction in current loops?

Electromagnetic induction in current loops is the phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field creates an electric current in a closed loop or circuit. This is known as Faraday's law of induction and is the basis for many electrical devices such as generators and transformers.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work in current loops?

Electromagnetic induction works by the principle of a changing magnetic field creating a current in a conductor. This can be achieved by moving a magnet near a coil of wire or by changing the current in a nearby wire. The changing magnetic field induces an electric field, which in turn creates a current in the conductor.

3. What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and static electricity?

Electromagnetic induction involves the creation of a current in a conductor due to a changing magnetic field, while static electricity is a buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object. While both involve electricity, they are fundamentally different phenomena.

4. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction in current loops?

Some practical applications of electromagnetic induction in current loops include generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in various types of sensors, such as metal detectors and speed sensors in cars.

5. How is electromagnetic induction in current loops related to electromagnetism?

Electromagnetic induction in current loops is one of the fundamental principles of electromagnetism. It is closely related to other principles, such as the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in different materials.