ElectroMagnetic Wave In Liquid Help with Index of Refraction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the propagation of an electromagnetic wave in a liquid and how to determine its index of refraction. The equation for the y-component of the electric field is given and the wavelength and frequency are used to calculate the velocity and index of refraction. After some confusion and recalculations, the correct answer is obtained.
bmb2009
ElectroMagnetic Wave In Liquid.. Help with Index of Refraction??

Homework Statement

Consider the propagation of an electromagnetic wave in some liquid. The y-component of its electric field is given by Ey(x,t)=4.3 x104 V/m sin(5.40E-2m-1x + 6.00E+0 x106 s-1 t). How large is the index of refraction of that liquid?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly had no idea how to even start this problem? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your equation is quite confusing. Did you mean:
Ey(x,t)=4.3x104 V/m sin(5.40x10-2m-1x + 6.00x106 s-1 t)

What you have is an equation describing the electric field of the EM wave at point x and time t.

If you freeze time at t=0, the equation simplifies somewhat. Can you read off the wavelength?

If you stand at the point x=0, the equation also simplifies somewhat. Can you read off the frequency?

That should give you enough information to derive the refractive index. Post your working if you get stuck.

Yes sorry the equation you interpreted was what I meant... I felt like I know what I am doing but still can't get the answer. Here's what i tried. since the speed of light velocity in a material I'll call v, equals the wavelength in the material times the frequency i.e. v=wavelength*frequency and since the index of refraction, n, equals c/v...If I can find the wavelength and the frequency I should be able to find the v and in turn the index of refraction. I know from my textbook that E(x,y)=E_0(sin(2*Pi(x/wavlength - frequency*t))) so I should just have to factor out a 2Pi from the terms inside the sine correct? I tried this and it did not work... Help :/

Your methodology seems right. Perhaps you made an arithmetic error? Post your wavelength, frequency, velocity and index, and I can take a look.

By the way - I presume the wave is moving in the x-direction? If not, your wavelength will be wrong.

I assume it's in the x direction because the question is posted verbatim from the textbook.
My wavelength: factor 2*pi from the term (x/.054m) to get x/(.054*2pi) so my wavlength =
.33929 m.
MY frequency: factor 2*pi from the term (6x10^6) = (6x10^6)/(2*pi) so my frequency = 3.23998x10^5

v=1.099x10^5 ... this is where I am confused because to get a reasonable number for the index of refraction the velocity will have to be some number x10^7 correct?

If you could run the numbers and post what you get I'd be very grateful. Thanks

Nevermind I just re did the problem and got the right answer... thank you for your help though i really appreciate it!

Related to ElectroMagnetic Wave In Liquid Help with Index of Refraction?

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that travels through space in the form of electric and magnetic fields. It does not require a medium to travel and can move through a vacuum.

2. What is the index of refraction for a liquid?

The index of refraction for a liquid is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when it passes through the liquid. It is represented by the symbol "n" and is dependent on the properties of the liquid, such as its density and composition.

3. How does the index of refraction affect electromagnetic waves in a liquid?

The index of refraction determines the speed and direction of electromagnetic waves as they pass through a liquid. A higher index of refraction means that the waves will slow down and change direction more, while a lower index of refraction means the waves will travel faster and change direction less.

4. Can the index of refraction of a liquid be changed?

Yes, the index of refraction of a liquid can be changed by altering its physical properties, such as temperature, pressure, or composition. This can affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves passing through the liquid.

5. How is the index of refraction of a liquid measured?

The index of refraction of a liquid can be measured using a device called a refractometer. This instrument measures the angle at which light bends when passing through a liquid and calculates the index of refraction based on this angle.