Index of refraction from reflected light (polarised)

In summary, a beam of light reflected from the surface of an unknown liquid was examined with a linear sheet polarizer. It was found that when the central axis of the polarizer was tilted down at an angle of 54.30◦, the reflected light was completely passed through the polarizer if the transmission axis was parallel to the interface. This information can be used to compute the index of refraction of the liquid. The polarizer must be perpendicular to the reflected beam and its transmission axis must be parallel to the interface. The polarizer transmits the entire reflected intensity when the reflected light is polarized parallel to its transmission axis, which occurs at an angle of 54.3°.
Jon.G

Homework Statement

A beam of light is reflected from the surface of some unknown liquid, and the light is examined with a linear sheet polarizer. It is found that when the central axis of the polariser (that is, the perpendicular to the plane of the sheet) is tilted down from the vertical at an angle of 54.30◦ , the reflected light is completely passed, provided the transmission axis is parallel to the plane of the interface. From this information, compute the index of refraction of the liquid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm having some trouble even just picturing this. The wording about the polariser confuses me a little.

I'm not sure where to start. My first thought is to go to Brewster's angle as this involves reflected light getting polarised, but I thought a condition for this was that Incident (or reflected) angle + transmitted angle = 90.
But if the transmission axis is parallel to the interface this would mean the light is normally incident, and this doesn't feel right (and even if it was I wouldn't know where to go from here)

Any help or hints appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jon.G said:

Homework Statement

A beam of light is reflected from the surface of some unknown liquid, and the light is examined with a linear sheet polarizer. It is found that when the central axis of the polariser (that is, the perpendicular to the plane of the sheet) is tilted down from the vertical at an angle of 54.30◦ , the reflected light is completely passed, provided the transmission axis is parallel to the plane of the interface. From this information, compute the index of refraction of the liquid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm having some trouble even just picturing this. The wording about the polariser confuses me a little.

I'm not sure where to start. My first thought is to go to Brewster's angle as this involves reflected light getting polarised, but I thought a condition for this was that Incident (or reflected) angle + transmitted angle = 90.
But if the transmission axis is parallel to the interface this would mean the light is normally incident, and this doesn't feel right (and even if it was I wouldn't know where to go from here)

Any help or hints appreciated.

The plane of the polarizer has to be perpendicular to the reflected beam, and its transmission axis is parallel to the interface, so perpendicular to the plane of incidence.
What do you know about the reflection of the parallel and perpendicular polarized light? Is it any angle of incidence when the whole reflected light is polarized perpendicularly to the plane of incidence, no matter of the polarization state of the incident light? The polarizer transmits the whole reflected intensity, if the reflected light is polarized parallel with the transmission axis of the polarizer. That happens at 54.3°angle of incidence.

polarizerbrewster.JPG

1. What is the index of refraction and how does it relate to reflected light?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. When light reflects off of a surface, the index of refraction of that surface determines the angle at which the light is reflected.

2. How is the index of refraction calculated from reflected light?

The index of refraction can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the indices of refraction of the two materials.

3. Can the index of refraction vary for different types of light?

Yes, the index of refraction can vary depending on the wavelength of the light. This is known as dispersion and is responsible for the separation of colors in a prism.

4. How does polarization affect the index of refraction in reflected light?

Polarization refers to the direction of the electric field in light waves. The index of refraction can vary for different polarizations of light, which can result in different angles of reflection.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the index of refraction in reflected light?

Understanding the index of refraction in reflected light is important in many fields, such as optics, materials science, and engineering. It is used in the design of lenses, mirrors, and other optical devices. It is also important in industries such as glass manufacturing and in the production of polarized sunglasses.