Electromagnetism question: Current flowing between concentric spheres

ka_reem13
Homework Statement
The space between two concentric, perfectly conducting spheres (radii ra < rb) is filled with a medium of conductivity σ. At t = 0, a charge q suddenly appears on the inner sphere. This charge is subsequently free to move by conduction.
(a) Calculate the current density in the medium between the spheres as a function of time for t > 0.
(b) Calculate the total heat generated due to this current.
(c) Calculate the reduction in electric field energy due to the charge redistribution. Comment on your results.
Relevant Equations
maxwells equations?
I know that my solution is time dependant, and I initially tried to use a capacitor model of sorts, but I realised as it was filled with a conductive medium, I cannot use a capacitor model. So now I am very stuck on this

Physics news on Phys.org
Try working on a simpler version of the problem first, to start to get some intuition...

What if you have a flat plate capacitor with a resistor tied between the plates, and one of the plates gets a charge q placed on it? What is the equations for the current versus time through that resistor?

Then what kinds of changes should you make to account for the concentric sphere capacitor, and the varying resistance as a function of radial distance...?

intuitively, it will be the same as discharging a regular capacitor through a resistor. However, instead of discharging to zero, it will discharge until both plates have equal and opposite charge? (Where this charge is q/2). Am I correct in saying this

ka_reem13 said:
However, instead of discharging to zero, it will discharge until both plates have equal and opposite charge? (Where this charge is q/2). Am I correct in saying this
Discharging until q/2 is on each plate is not equal and opposite charges. What is the E field between the plates when they each have q/2 on them? :wink:

1. How is the current flowing between concentric spheres calculated?

The current flowing between concentric spheres can be calculated using the formula I = (V1 - V2) / R, where I is the current, V1 and V2 are the voltages at the inner and outer spheres, and R is the resistance between the spheres.

2. What factors affect the current flowing between concentric spheres?

The current flowing between concentric spheres is affected by the voltage difference between the spheres, the resistance between them, and the size and material of the spheres.

3. How does the distance between the spheres affect the current flow?

The distance between the concentric spheres affects the current flow by influencing the resistance between them. As the distance increases, the resistance also increases, leading to a decrease in current flow.

4. Can the current flowing between concentric spheres be controlled?

Yes, the current flowing between concentric spheres can be controlled by adjusting the voltage difference between the spheres or changing the resistance between them.

5. What applications does the concept of current flowing between concentric spheres have?

The concept of current flowing between concentric spheres is used in various applications such as electric power transmission, electrostatic precipitators, and particle accelerators.