Electron and positron collision producing a b0 meson pair

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of energy and momentum in relation to B0 mesons and their mean distance. The threshold energy is found to be 1.6GeV, and it is noted that the question may be ambiguous. The use of four vectors and the invariant is mentioned, and a final answer of 2.49x10^(-4)m is determined.
physconomics
Homework Statement
Electrons and positrons collide head-on with beam energies 9GeV and E respectively, producing B0 and anti-B0 mesons at the threshold energy. The B0 mesons undergo decay with a mean proper lifetime of 1.5 × 10−12 s. Calculate the mean distance that the B0 mesons travel before decay, as observed in the rest frame of the laboratory. (Neglect rest-mass energies of electron and positron)
Relevant Equations
E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4
E = ymc^2
P = ymu
conservation of energy and momentum
Conservation of Energy: 9GeV + E = 5.3GeV + 5.3GeV
Therefore E = 1.6GeV for the threshold energy.

How would I find the velocity of B0 mesons so that I can calculate their mean distance?
Then it would just be distance = velocity of b0 * mean proper lifetime
Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
physconomics said:
Conservation of Energy: 9GeV + E = 5.3GeV + 5.3GeV
Therefore E = 1.6GeV for the threshold energy.

Are you sure about that? What happened to conservation of momentum?

PS If the meson are created with their rest energy, then their speed is zero and they wouldn't go anywhere.

PeroK said:
Are you sure about that? What happened to conservation of momentum?

PS If the meson are created with their rest energy, then their speed is zero and they wouldn't go anywhere.
I'm confused doesn't the question say they're created at the threshold energy?

physconomics said:
I'm confused doesn't the question say they're created at the threshold energy?

Yes, but the threshold energy is only the rest mass energy in the centre of momentum (COM) frame. In any other frame it is higher.

If the question said that the electron and positron had the same energy, then the lab frame would be the COM frame and each would have an energy of ##5.3GeV##.

If the positron has an energy of ##1.6GeV##, then the system has significant momentum in the lab frame, hence must have residual KE in the lab frame (conservation of momentum).

PS I guess the question may be ambiguous as by "threshold" energy it means the "minimum/threshold" energy, given that the electron has an energy of ##9GeV##.

Nevertheless, there clearly is no solution at a total energy of ##10.6GeV## - given the electron has ##9 GeV##. And, even if there were a solution with no residual momentum/energy, the mesons would be at rest and would travel no distance.

Hint: don't worry about calculating the threshold energy. Just trust the energy-momentum conservation equations.

PeroK said:
PS I guess the question may be ambiguous as by "threshold" energy it means the "minimum/threshold" energy, given that the electron has an energy of ##9GeV##.

Nevertheless, there clearly is no solution at a total energy of ##10.6GeV## - given the electron has ##9 GeV##. And, even if there were a solution with no residual momentum/energy, the mesons would be at rest and would travel no distance.

Hint: don't worry about calculating the threshold energy. Just trust the energy-momentum conservation equations.
Ah okay, I see, thank you! I've used four vectors and then the invariant to get E = 3.12GeV. I think I've got the second part too, using conservation of energy and time dilation. Thank you! :)

physconomics said:
Ah okay, I see, thank you! I've used four vectors and then the invariant to get E = 3.12GeV. I think I've got the second part too, using conservation of energy and time dilation. Thank you! :)
What answer did you get?

PeroK said:
What answer did you get?
I got 2.49x10^(-4)m

physconomics said:
I got 2.49x10^(-4)m

Yes, that looks correct!

1. What is an electron and positron collision?

An electron and positron collision is when an electron (a negatively charged subatomic particle) and a positron (a positively charged antiparticle) come into contact and annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of gamma rays.

2. How is a b0 meson pair produced in this collision?

In an electron and positron collision, the energy from the annihilation is converted into matter in the form of subatomic particles. This energy can be used to create particles such as the b0 meson pair, which is composed of a bottom quark and an anti-bottom quark.

3. What are the properties of a b0 meson pair?

The b0 meson pair has a mass of approximately 5.279 GeV/c² and a mean lifetime of 1.520 × 10^-12 seconds. It also has a charge of 0 and a spin of 0.

4. What is the significance of studying electron and positron collisions producing a b0 meson pair?

Studying electron and positron collisions can provide insight into the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of subatomic particles. The b0 meson pair, in particular, is useful in testing the predictions of the Standard Model, which describes the interactions between particles and the fundamental forces of nature.

5. How is this type of collision studied?

This type of collision is studied using particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Scientists use detectors to measure the particles produced in the collision and analyze their properties to understand the underlying physics.