Electron transitions within the same excited state?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transitions occurring within the same subshell of an electronic dipole. The Laporte Rule and the rule of angular momentum conservation are mentioned as factors that affect the selection of possible transitions. It is noted that the 21 cm hydrogen line is associated with a transition between 1s and 1s, but this is not an electric dipole transition.
pingaan
Hi,

I am have trouble finding whether or not the topic is possible.
It concerns an electronic dipole.

I am well familiar with the general rules: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_rule

Is it possible for transitions to occur from e.g. ^4P_1/2 and ^4P_2/3, which are both in n=3?
If they were in two different excited states it would be possible, this I know, but I am unsure of whether or not the rule pi_f = -pi_i plays a role when a possible transition would occur within the state. If it does then it is a matter of pi_f = pi_i, which is not allowed in an electric dipole.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Toby

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked into the Laporte Rule? I'm well outside of my expertise area, but it appears to cover transitions within the same subshell.

Likes pingaan
Drakkith said:
Have you looked into the Laporte Rule? I'm well outside of my expertise area, but it appears to cover transitions within the same subshell.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it! 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
pingaan said:
Is it possible for transitions to occur from e.g. ^4P_1/2 and ^4P_2/3, which are both in n=3?
No, the first rule is ##\Delta l = \pm 1##. Since it is due to conservation of angular momentum (the spin of the absorbed photon must be transferred to the atom), this is a strong rule, meaning that there aren't many ways of breaking the selection rule even by going beyond the dipole approximation.

Likes topsquark
Drakkith said:
That's for molecules. I think we are dealing with atomic transitions here.

DrClaude said:
That's for molecules. I think we are dealing with atomic transitions here.
Noted. Thx, DC.

well, the famous 21 cm hydrogen line is associated with the transition between 1s to 1s, the difference comes from parallel to antiparallel aligning of the elecron spon with the proton spin.

Henryk said:
well, the famous 21 cm hydrogen line is associated with the transition between 1s to 1s, the difference comes from parallel to antiparallel aligning of the elecron spon with the proton spin.
Which is not an electric dipole transition.

1. What is an electron transition within the same excited state?

An electron transition within the same excited state refers to the movement of an electron from one energy level to another within the same excited state of an atom. This can occur when the electron absorbs or emits energy, causing it to move to a higher or lower energy level within the same excited state.

2. How does an electron transition within the same excited state occur?

An electron transition within the same excited state occurs when an electron absorbs or emits energy in the form of light or heat. This energy causes the electron to move to a higher or lower energy level within the same excited state, resulting in a change in the electron's position within the atom.

3. What factors affect the frequency of electron transitions within the same excited state?

The frequency of electron transitions within the same excited state is affected by the energy difference between the two energy levels, the type of atom or molecule involved, and the external energy source that causes the transition (such as light or heat).

4. What are the consequences of electron transitions within the same excited state?

The consequences of electron transitions within the same excited state can include the emission or absorption of light, changes in the atom's chemical properties, and the creation of spectral lines that can be used to identify elements.

5. How are electron transitions within the same excited state used in scientific research?

Electron transitions within the same excited state are used in various scientific fields, including spectroscopy, quantum mechanics, and materials science. By studying these transitions, scientists can gain a better understanding of the electronic structure and behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as develop new technologies and materials.