Electronic transition in organic compounds

In summary, these are just really antiquated ways of talking about ##\pi \rightarrow \pi^*## and ##n \rightarrow \pi^*## transitions of various conjugated and aromatic systems.
Eureka99
Hello everybody :)
I have a problem understanding the different types of pi -> pi * transition of organic compounds. I can't understand what's the difference between K-band, B- band, and E-bands, and I cannot find any explanation on the internet. Also I don't understand why benzene has two E bands ( E1 and E2), and Toluene only one; I also tried to see the pi molecular orbitals of different aromatic compounds, to see what pi -> pi* transitions are possible, but I found the MO's only of benzene. If anyone can explain to me the difference between the three types of band, maybe with a couple of examples, I would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell, these are just really antiquated ways of talking about ##\pi \rightarrow \pi^*## and ##n \rightarrow \pi^*## transitions of various conjugated and aromatic systems.

TeethWhitener said:
As far as I can tell, these are just really antiquated ways of talking about ##\pi \rightarrow \pi^*## and ##n \rightarrow \pi^*## transitions of various conjugated and aromatic systems.
Really? I didn' t know that, but I guess I'll have to try to understand it anyway for the exam :sorry:
Thanks for the response :)

It looks like R-bands are "radical" bands, or ##n \rightarrow \pi^*##. K bands are ##\pi \rightarrow \pi^*## bands in conjugated, non-cyclic systems like ethylene or 1,3-butadiene. B and E bands refer to the group representation conventions from the character table for the ##D_{6h}## point group that benzene is a member of. B bands are transitions from the ##A_{1g}## ground state into singly degenerate ##B_{1u}## and ##B_{2u}## excited states, and E bands are transitions into the doubly degenerate ##E_{1u}## state.

(Note: the B and E bands are the only ones I'm sure of. These are still standard. The R and K bands were just what I could glean from various old papers.)

Likes Eureka99
TeethWhitener said:
It looks like R-bands are "radical" bands, or ##n \rightarrow \pi^*##. K bands are ##\pi \rightarrow \pi^*## bands in conjugated, non-cyclic systems like ethylene or 1,3-butadiene. B and E bands refer to the group representation conventions from the character table for the ##D_{6h}## point group that benzene is a member of. B bands are transitions from the ##A_{1g}## ground state into singly degenerate ##B_{1u}## and ##B_{2u}## excited states, and E bands are transitions into the doubly degenerate ##E_{1u}## state.

(Note: the B and E bands are the only ones I'm sure of. These are still standard. The R and K bands were just what I could glean from various old papers.)
Oh well, now it makes sense! It also makes sense why when the benzene has functional groups that make him lost its symmetry, it loses as well the E- bands. Thank you very much, that was very helpful!

1. What is an electronic transition in organic compounds?

An electronic transition in organic compounds refers to the movement of an electron from one energy level to another within a molecule. This can occur when the molecule absorbs or emits light, causing a change in its electronic structure and resulting in different properties.

2. How are electronic transitions related to the color of organic compounds?

The color of an organic compound is determined by the energy difference between its highest occupied molecular orbital (HOMO) and its lowest unoccupied molecular orbital (LUMO). When an electron moves from the HOMO to the LUMO, it absorbs light in the visible spectrum and appears colored. The specific color depends on the size and shape of the molecule, as well as the types of bonds and functional groups present.

3. What factors affect the energy of electronic transitions in organic compounds?

The energy of electronic transitions in organic compounds is influenced by several factors, including the types of atoms and bonds present, the presence of conjugated systems, and the polarity of the molecule. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules can also affect the energy of electronic transitions.

4. How are electronic transitions useful in identifying organic compounds?

The energy and wavelength of electronic transitions are unique to each molecule, making them useful in identifying and characterizing organic compounds. By measuring the absorption or emission of light, scientists can determine the electronic structure and properties of a compound, aiding in its identification and differentiation from other molecules.

5. Can electronic transitions be observed in all types of organic compounds?

Yes, electronic transitions can be observed in all types of organic compounds, including alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, and aromatic compounds. However, the intensity and wavelength of the transitions may vary depending on the specific structural and chemical properties of the molecule.