Electrons escaping a metal surface

In summary, the Fermi-Dirac distribution and the contribution of escaping electrons to current density were discussed. The rate at which electrons escape at a unit area of the metal's surface can be calculated by integrating the number density of electrons with momentum in a certain range, taking into account the factor of two for electron spin. The final integral includes a restriction that only electrons with a certain momentum can escape.
ergospherical
Homework Statement
Electrons in a semi-infinite slab (z < 0) of metal behave as an ideal non-relativistic Fermi gas. They escape the surface if ##p_z^2/(2m) > E_F + V##, where ##E_F## is the Fermi energy and ##V## is a potential barrier - what is the current density of escaping electrons? Assume ##E_F \gg k_B T## and ##V \gg k_B T##.
Relevant Equations
N/A
In the low temperature limit ##\mu \approx E_F## and the Fermi-Dirac distribution is ##n(E) \approx g(E)/(e^{\beta(E-E_F)}+1)##. An escaping electron contributes ##\Delta j_z = -ev_z = -ep_z/m## to the current density. How can I calculate the rate that electrons escape at? I can't see how to relate ##p_z## to the Fermi-Dirac distribution (apart from ##E = p^2/(2m) = (p_x^2 + p_y^2 + p_z^2)/(2m)##, in which case I don't know what to say about the transverse component of the momentum).

Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
How can I calculate the rate that electrons escape at?

##g(E) \large \frac{dE}{e^{\beta(E-E_F)}+1}## gives the number density of electrons with energy between ##E## and ##E + dE##.

In terms of momentum, verify that the number density of electrons with momentum in the range ##(p_x, p_y, p_z)## to ##(p_x+dp_x, p_y+dp_y, p_z + dp_z)## is $$\frac{2}{h^3} \frac{dp_x dp_y dp_z}{e^{\beta[(p_x^2+p_y^2+p_z^2)/(2m)-E_F]}+1}$$ Use this to set up an integral that gives the rate ##R## at which electrons will escape from a unit area of the surface of the metal. $$R = \int_{??}^\infty dp_z \int_{-\infty}^\infty dp_y\int_{-\infty}^\infty dp_x \rm {\,[\, integrand \,\, left \,\, for \,\, you \, :) \,]}$$

Likes ergospherical
Cheers. Where does the factor 2 come from? I figured that if the (momentum) phase space volume of a state is ##h^3##, then ##g(E) dE \sim d^3 p / h^3##.

Then I thought about a section of the metal with small surface area ##dA##. In time ##dt##, electrons with velocities between ##v_z## and ##v_z + dv_z## reach the surface if they are within a depth ##v_z dt##, i.e. within a volume ##(p_z/m) dt dA##. There are ##dn (p_z/m) dt dA## such electrons, where ##dn = dn(p_x,p_y,p_z)## is the number density of electrons given above. So the rate of escape per unit area, given the restriction that only ##p_z > \sqrt{2m(E_F + V)}## can escape, is \begin{align*}
R = \frac{2}{h^3 m} \int_{\sqrt{2m(E_F + V)}}^{\infty} dp_z \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dp_y \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dp_x \ \frac{p_z}{e^{\beta(p^2/(2m) - E_F)} + 1}
\end{align*}Does that look right to you?

Last edited:
ergospherical said:
Cheers. Where does the factor 2 come from? I figured that if the (momentum) phase space volume of a state is ##h^3##, then ##g(E) dE \sim d^3 p / h^3##.
Electron spin allows two electrons to be in each momentum state. This is easy to forget.

ergospherical said:
Then I thought about a section of the metal with small surface area ##dA##. In time ##dt##, electrons with velocities between ##v_z## and ##v_z + dv_z## reach the surface if they are within a depth ##v_z dt##, i.e. within a volume ##(p_z/m) dt dA##. There are ##dn (p_z/m) dt dA## such electrons, where ##dn = dn(p_x,p_y,p_z)## is the number density of electrons given above. So the rate of escape per unit area, given the restriction that only ##p_z > \sqrt{2m(E_F + V)}## can escape, is \begin{align*}
R = \frac{2}{h^3 m} \int_{\sqrt{2m(E_F + V)}}^{\infty} dp_z \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dp_y \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dp_x \ \frac{p_z}{e^{\beta(p^2/(2m) - E_F)} + 1}
\end{align*}Does that look right to you?
Yes. Very nice.

1. What is the process of electrons escaping a metal surface called?

The process of electrons escaping a metal surface is called electron emission or electron photoemission.

2. What causes electrons to escape a metal surface?

Electrons escape a metal surface when they absorb enough energy from a photon of light or from thermal energy to overcome the attractive forces of the metal atoms.

3. How does the energy of the incident light affect electron emission?

The energy of the incident light affects electron emission by determining the number of electrons that can be emitted and their kinetic energy. Higher energy light can cause more electrons to be emitted with greater kinetic energy.

4. What is the work function of a metal and how does it relate to electron emission?

The work function of a metal is the minimum amount of energy needed to remove an electron from the surface of the metal. It is directly related to electron emission as it determines the ease with which electrons can escape from the metal surface.

5. How is the photoelectric effect related to electrons escaping a metal surface?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon of electrons being emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light. This is directly related to electrons escaping a metal surface as it is the process by which electrons are emitted from the metal surface due to the absorption of photons of light.