Electrons excited by absorption of a photon in Mg

In summary, the total spin of an Mg atom remains zero after absorption or emission of a photon. The possible states for one of the electrons in the outer shell to transition to are 3p and 4p, as there is a selection rule that requires a change in the orbital quantum number by +1 or -1. However, other states with a higher energy, such as 6p, could also be allowed due to the absence of a selection rule related to the principal quantum number.
HastiM

Homework Statement

The total spin of an Mg atom is zero and remains zero after absorption or emission of a photon. To which states can one of the electrons in the outer shell get by absorption of a single photon: 4s, 5s, 3p, 4p, 3d, 4d?2. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure which of the states are possible. My ideas so far: When a photon is absorbed by one of the two electrons in the outer shell, the electron has a higher energy. But both electrons in the outer shell are in the state 3s (one with spin up, and the other with spin down). On the other hand, all states given above represent states with higher energy, so that all states should be possible. Is that true? Or do I missing something? I guess my answer is wrong because I ignored the total spin. But we have not discussed in class how the total spin is computed and how it is related to the energy of an atom.

Any help is very appreciated!

Best wishes

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about selection rules?

Likes HastiM
Thank you for your help and the hint!

I just read that state transitions due to a photon emission/absorption necessarily change the magnetic quantum number by +1 or -1. This would mean that in our case only the states 3p and 4p are possible. Is that correct?

HastiM said:
I just read that state transitions due to a photon emission/absorption necessarily change the magnetic quantum number by +1 or -1. This would mean that in our case only the states 3p and 4p are possible. Is that correct?
Yes, but its related to the orbital quantum number, not the magnetic quantum number (for which there is also a selection rule, but it is irrelevant here). Note also that there is no selection rule related to the principal quantum number, so other final states, such as 6p, would also have been allowed.

Likes HastiM
Thank you very much! You helped me a lot!

1. What is the process of electron excitation in Mg?

When a photon is absorbed by an atom of magnesium, the energy from the photon is transferred to one of the electrons in the atom. This causes the electron to move to a higher energy level, or become "excited".

2. How does the energy of the absorbed photon affect the excited electron?

The energy of the absorbed photon must be equal to the difference in energy between the electron's initial and final energy levels. If the energy of the photon is too low, the electron will not be able to become excited. If the energy is too high, the excess energy will be released as a photon when the electron returns to its original energy level.

3. What happens to the excited electrons in Mg after absorbing a photon?

The excited electrons in magnesium will eventually return to their original energy levels, releasing the absorbed energy as a photon or heat. This process is known as de-excitation. The time it takes for the electrons to de-excite varies depending on the specific energy levels involved.

4. How is the absorption of photons by Mg atoms useful in scientific research?

The absorption of photons by Mg atoms can be used to study the energy levels and transitions of electrons in atoms. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior of matter and can be applied in fields such as spectroscopy and quantum mechanics.

5. Can the absorption of photons in Mg atoms be controlled?

Yes, the absorption of photons in Mg atoms can be controlled by adjusting the energy of the photons being directed at the atoms. By carefully selecting the energy of the photons, scientists can study specific energy levels and transitions of the electrons in Mg atoms, providing valuable insights into the behavior of matter.