Term symbol of a molecule in an excited state

In summary, the molecule of ##C_2^+## in an excited state has a valence configuration of ##2\sigma_g^2##, ##2\sigma_u^2##, ##1\pi_u^2##, and ##3\sigma_g^1##. The term symbol are ##^2\Delta_g##, ##^2\Sigma_g##, ##^2\Sigma_g##, and ##^4\Sigma_g##. First, if I want to find all the possible configuration with the above valence configuration I have to calculate: $$\binom{\text{maximum number of electrons which can be "host
Aleolomorfo

Homework Statement

Considering the molecule of ##C_2^+## in an excited state with valence configuration ##2\sigma_g^2## ##2\sigma_u^2## ##1\pi_u^2## ##3\sigma_g^1##. Finding all the possible term symbol.

Homework Equations

Term symbol ##^{2S+1}\Lambda##
##L=0 \rightarrow \Sigma##
##L=1 \rightarrow \Pi##
##L=2 \rightarrow \Phi##

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is solved but I have some doubts about the solution. First of all, the term symbol are: ##^2\Delta_g##, ##^2\Sigma_g##, ##^2\Sigma_g##, ##^4\Sigma_g##. This is ok.

First, If I want to find all the possible configuration with the above valence configuration I have to calculate:
$$\binom{\text{maximum number of electrons which can be "host" in the shell}}{\text{electrons in the shell}}$$
Not considering the full shell (##\pi## state can host 4 electrons, instead ##\sigma## states only 2):
$$\binom{4}{2}+\binom{2}{1}=8$$
But in the solution there is written that the possible states are 12, and I do not understand why.

Second, I do not understand how to calculate the degeneracies of each term. From my perspective should be ##(2S+1)(2\Lambda+1)##, so ##^2\Sigma_g## should be ##2\times (2\times 2+1)= 10##, but in the solution there are only 4 states.

I need some help to sort out my ideas, thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aleolomorfo said:
Not considering the full shell (##\pi## state can host 4 electrons, instead ##\sigma## states only 2):
$$\binom{4}{2}+\binom{2}{1}=8$$
But in the solution there is written that the possible states are 12, and I do not understand why.
Is adding the two binomial coefficients the right thing to do?

Aleolomorfo said:
Second, I do not understand how to calculate the degeneracies of each term. From my perspective should be ##(2S+1)(2\Lambda+1)##, so ##^2\Sigma_g## should be ##2\times (2\times 2+1)= 10##, but in the solution there are only 4 states.
I don't understand what you are doing here. And what is ##\Lambda## for a ##\Sigma## state?

DrClaude said:
Is adding the two binomial coefficients the right thing to do?
No, I have to multiply, thank you.

DrClaude said:
I don't understand what you are doing here. And what is ΛΛ\Lambda for a ΣΣ\Sigma state?
I see it is a bit confusing, but now I have understood reading again my book, thank you anyway

What is the term symbol of a molecule in an excited state?

The term symbol of a molecule in an excited state is a shorthand notation used to describe the electronic state of a molecule. It includes information about the total spin, orbital angular momentum, and total angular momentum of the molecule.

How is the term symbol of a molecule in an excited state determined?

The term symbol is determined by analyzing the electronic configuration of the molecule in its excited state. This includes considering the number of electrons, their spin states, and the arrangement of the orbitals.

What do the letters and numbers in a term symbol represent?

The letters and numbers in a term symbol represent the total spin, orbital angular momentum, and total angular momentum, respectively. The spin is indicated by a capital letter (S, P, D, etc.), the orbital angular momentum is represented by a lower case letter (s, p, d, etc.), and the total angular momentum is denoted by a number (0, 1, 2, etc.).

Can a molecule have more than one term symbol?

Yes, a molecule can have multiple term symbols in its excited state. This is because different electronic configurations can result in different term symbols. For example, a molecule with two unpaired electrons can have both a triplet and a singlet term symbol.

How is the term symbol of a molecule in an excited state written?

The term symbol is typically written as a series of letters and numbers, with the total spin listed first, followed by the orbital angular momentum and total angular momentum. For example, a term symbol of 3P2 would indicate a total spin of 3, an orbital angular momentum of P, and a total angular momentum of 2.