Electrons when their spin changes for hybridization?

In summary, Hund's Rule states that in the ground state of an atom, electrons must be put into all open orbitals before the remaining orbitals can be filled with remaining electrons of opposite spins. However, in an excited state, as in the case of hybridization, the spin direction of the electrons can change without any effect on the subatomic level.
megscarlette
Forgive me in advance if this appears to be a dumb question but, as I was reviewing a few basic chemistry topics, namely orbital hybridization, I came across a question. From what I gather, according to Hund's Rule, an electron must be put into all open orbitals before the remaining orbitals can be filled with remaining electrons of opposite spins. For example, carbon's valance electrons originally concern themselves with the 2s2, 2p2 orbitals. To fill in the empty p orbital, it hybridizes to form sp3. The example I was looking at showed the electron that was moved from the 2s orbital to the p orbital spinning down whereas, in the hybridization configuration it was spinning up. Wouldn't the change in spin direction have an effect at least in the subatomic arena? Granted, I don't really know anything about particle physics but, I can't see how it would not effect something besides electron location probabilities and molecular orientations. Or maybe I'm on the wrong track. Thanks for any insights :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hund's rules apply only for the ground state. The hypothetical hybridized state of the carbon atom is an excited state (sometimes one speaks of promotion in that context) as the p orbital has higher energy than the s and you are free to fill in the electrons and their spins at will (well, they still have to obey the Pauli principle).

1. How does hybridization affect the spin of electrons?

Hybridization involves the rearrangement of electrons in an atom's orbitals. When this happens, the spin of the electrons can change due to the mixing of orbitals with different spin orientations.

2. Can hybridization change the overall spin of an atom?

Yes, hybridization can result in a change in the overall spin of an atom. This is because the hybridized orbitals can have different spin orientations, leading to a net spin value for the atom.

3. How does the spin of electrons impact the properties of hybridized molecules?

The spin of electrons can affect the magnetic properties of hybridized molecules, as well as their reactivity and stability. It can also influence the electronic and optical properties of these molecules.

4. Is there a relationship between hybridization and the spin state of an atom?

Yes, there is a relationship between hybridization and the spin state of an atom. In general, hybridization can result in a higher energy state for the atom, leading to a change in its spin state.

5. Can hybridization occur without any change in the spin of electrons?

Yes, it is possible for hybridization to occur without any change in the spin of electrons. This can happen when the hybridized orbitals have the same spin orientation as the original orbitals, resulting in no net change in the spin of the electrons.