Where do vacant p-orbitals come from?

• Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
  • Start date
In summary: I apologize for my poor questioning skills; I'm probably tired and this is just a result. Orbital is a term used to describe an electron in an atom that has been paired with another electron. It is inherent to the atom, meaning that it is not present in the atom if the atom lacks electrons.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Forgive me for such a such a question; it's probably sleep deprivation or my inherent stupidity. Either way, where do vacant p-orbitals come from?? When carbon's valence electrons find themselves in a bonding situation that requires them to hybridize, their 2s and 2p orbitals merge into a single ##sp^3## orbital. Apparently the "3" refers to the number of 2p orbitals that merged, but I don't understand why there are three?? There are only two unpaired electrons from 2p.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Orbitals are inherent to atoms. Absence of electrons in the orbitals does not mean that the orbitals are absent. Quantum mechanically, these orbitals are obtained by solving the Schrödinger Equation. If you look at how the orbitals are derived based on quantum numbers, you will understand that these are inherent to the atoms. For example, elements of period 2 don't have d-orbitals. That is because the solutions of Schrödinger Equation says that you don't have d-orbitals for principal quantum number 2.

Once you look under the hood (study things through QM), things will become clearer. It's not true that I know everything, but I have studied bits and parts, and orbitals are truly inherent to atoms.

Wrichik Basu said:
Orbitals are inherent to atoms. Absence of electrons in the orbitals does not mean that the orbitals are absent. Quantum mechanically, these orbitals are obtained by solving the Schrödinger Equation. If you look at how the orbitals are derived based on quantum numbers, you will understand that these are inherent to the atoms. For example, elements of period 2 don't have d-orbitals. That is because the solutions of Schrödinger Equation says that you don't have d-orbitals for principal quantum number 2.
Quantum mechanics aside, how am I supposed to look at a carbon atom and know that it has 3 2p orbitals?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Quantum mechanics aside, how am I supposed to look at a carbon atom and know that it has 3 2p orbitals?

You can't put quantum mechanics aside and ask about number of orbitals, as it is quantum mechanics that tels us how many orbitals there are. It is all in the quantum numbers and their relationships: ml can take any value from -l to l, so for every n>=2 there are always three p orbitals.

I feel like you are mistaking orbital with an occupied orbital. My desk has three drawers, doesn't mean they can't be empty.

Likes Mastermind01, Astronuc, ProfuselyQuarky and 2 others

What are p-orbitals?

P-orbitals are one of the three types of orbitals found in atoms, along with s and d orbitals. They are shaped like dumbbells and can hold a maximum of 6 electrons.

Where do vacant p-orbitals come from?

Vacant p-orbitals come from the electronic configuration of an atom. When an atom has a partially filled outermost shell, it can have vacant p-orbitals that can accommodate additional electrons.

How are p-orbitals formed?

P-orbitals are formed through the combination of s and p atomic orbitals. This process, known as hybridization, occurs when atoms bond together to form molecules.

What is the significance of vacant p-orbitals in chemical reactions?

Vacant p-orbitals play a crucial role in chemical reactions. They allow atoms to bond together and form new molecules. Additionally, vacant p-orbitals can also participate in the sharing and transfer of electrons, which is important for the formation of chemical bonds.

Can p-orbitals be filled with more than 6 electrons?

No, p-orbitals can only hold a maximum of 6 electrons. This is because each p-orbital can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, and there are a total of 3 p-orbitals in an atom.