Electrophys - Time integral of voltage

In summary, the time integral of voltage is not clear to the author what its physical significance is. However, it should give the total charge (in Coulombs) across a membrane in time t given R and V are known.
dom_stb
Hello,

I have recorded voltage signals (in the time domain) using standard electrophys amplifiers. The voltage is that of an electrode inserted in a plant stem as charged objects are brought close to, then into contact with the flower.

I was wondering about the significance of the time integral of voltage: It is not clear to me what, if any physical significance this has.

Op-amp based voltage integraters in electronics measure the total electric flux through the amplifier - or so i understand it. Does this apply to the signals I measure?

I know if resistance is constant, voltage is proportional to current so the integration of V dt is proportional to charge, but without a reliable value for R this is useless to me.

I want to know exactly what quantity the integration of Vdt gives.
Any ideas?
Regards,
Dom.

Biology news on Phys.org
dom_stb said:
Hello,

I was wondering about the significance of the time integral of voltage: It is not clear to me what, if any physical significance this has.

I want to know exactly what quantity the integration of Vdt gives.
Any ideas?
Regards,
Dom.

It should give the total charge (in Coulombs) across a membrane in time t given R and V are known. I'm not sure you really need to know this.

In most cases, you want to know Vmax and the shape of the voltage curve.

So for a time constant [tex]\tau=r_{m}c_m[/tex] where r is the resistance and c the capacitance of the membrane:

rise [tex]V(t)=Vmax(1-e^{-t/\tau})[/tex]
fall [tex]V(t)=Vmax(e^{-t/\tau})[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks very much, that's helpful.

What I am measuring is really the transfer of charge (though i am measuring the voltage) between the object and the flower. It won't necessarily follow neuronal models, but it will be nice to see if te shape can be charactarised by any of these equations.

Thanks again.

1. What is electrophysiology?

Electrophysiology is the study of the electrical activity in living cells and tissues. This includes the measurement of the electrical signals produced by nerve cells, muscle cells, and other types of cells in the body.

2. What is meant by "time integral of voltage" in electrophysiology?

The time integral of voltage refers to the total amount of electrical charge that has been generated over a specific period of time. This is important in measuring the strength and duration of electrical signals produced by cells.

3. How is the time integral of voltage measured?

The time integral of voltage is typically measured using specialized equipment such as an oscilloscope or a voltage clamp. These devices can measure the changes in voltage over time and calculate the total charge generated by the electrical signal.

4. What can the time integral of voltage tell us about a cell's function?

The time integral of voltage can provide valuable information about a cell's membrane potential, which is important for the transmission of electrical signals in the body. It can also help researchers understand how different stimuli affect a cell's electrical activity.

5. How is the time integral of voltage used in medical research?

The time integral of voltage is used in medical research to study the electrical activity of cells and tissues in healthy and diseased states. It can help identify abnormalities in electrical signaling and aid in the development of treatments for conditions such as epilepsy and heart disease.