Electrostatics coulomb's law problem

Coulomb's law can be used to find the force between two charges, but it cannot be used to find the distance between three points. It is important to understand the concept of superposition when dealing with charges. In summary, to use Coulomb's law to find the r value of three points when the total distance is 50 cm, a clear statement of the problem and understanding of superposition is necessary.
meme06

Homework Statement

how to use coulomb's law to find the r value of the three points when the total distance is 50 cm

Homework Equations

f=Kqq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i assumed that is it was uniform and sais r1+r2=r3 but now i think that is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
By "three points" do you mean "three charges" ? There is one key concept you must use when dealing with charges, that is the concept of superposition.

meme06 said:

Homework Statement

how to use coulomb's law to find the r value of the three points when the total distance is 50 cm

Homework Equations

f=Kqq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i assumed that is it was uniform and sais r1+r2=r3 but now i think that is wrong

We cannot help you without a clear statement of the problem you are trying to solve.

Related to Electrostatics coulomb's law problem

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do I calculate the force between two charged particles using Coulomb's Law?

The formula for calculating the force between two charged particles is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the particles in meters.

3. What is the unit of charge used in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of charge used in Coulomb's Law is the Coulomb (C). One Coulomb is equal to the charge of 6.24 x 10^18 electrons.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between multiple charged particles. In this case, the force between each pair of particles must be calculated separately and then added together to find the total force.

5. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the force between them according to Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force increases.