Elementary Set Theory (Discrete)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of set differences and union, specifically in the context of A, B, and C being sets with A being a subset of B and B being a subset of C. It is noted that A/B and A/C are both empty sets, and the union of A and B is equivalent to just B. The concept is further explained in terms of set notation and examples are suggested for further understanding.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

Suppose A⊂B⊂C. What is A/B, A/C, and A∪B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't really a homework question, I am just trying to get some exposure to discrete math before I take it in the fall.

The set differences A/B and A/C are both empty sets and the 'or' set is B. I understand the last part, but I'm unsure of why A/B and A/C are empty sets. I understand it has something to do with x∈A but x∉B or C as part of the definition of a set difference. I just need someone to explain it to me.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of an element in set theory?

An element in set theory is any object or member that belongs to a set. It is represented by lowercase letters, such as x or y, and is denoted by the symbol "∈" which means "belongs to". For example, if we have the set A = {1, 2, 3}, then 2 is an element of A, represented as 2 ∈ A.

2. What is the difference between a set and a subset?

A set is a collection of distinct elements, while a subset is a set that contains only elements that are also in another set. In other words, all elements of a subset are also elements of the original set. For example, if A = {1, 2, 3} and B = {1, 2}, then B is a subset of A, denoted as B ⊆ A.

3. How do you represent the empty set in set theory?

The empty set, also known as the null set, is a set that contains no elements. It is denoted by the symbol "∅" or by using curly braces with no elements inside, {}. It is important to note that the empty set is a subset of every set, including itself.

4. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. It is denoted by the symbol "|" or "||" and is used to represent the size or count of a set. For example, if A = {1, 2, 3}, then the cardinality of A is 3, represented as |A| = 3.

5. How do you perform operations on sets in set theory?

In set theory, there are three main operations that can be performed on sets: union, intersection, and complement. Union (∪) combines all the elements from two sets, intersection (∩) finds the common elements between two sets, and complement (') finds all the elements that are not in a given set. These operations can be represented using Venn diagrams and can be used to solve many problems in mathematics and computer science.