Munkres Topology Ch 1 ex#7) part (c) — basic set theory Q

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of symbols and set manipulation in logical formulas, particularly the use of De Morgan's laws to manipulate expressions involving unions, intersections, and set differences. The participants also share their own methods of approaching these types of problems.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Homework Statement
This is Munkres Topology ch 1, exercise #7: Write the given set in terms of the sets ##A, B, C## and the symbols ##\cup , \cap , \text{ and } -##.

$$F=\left\{ x| x\in A \wedge \left( x\in B\Rightarrow x\in C\right) \right\}$$
Relevant Equations
DeMorgan’s laws perhaps? Idk.
Obviously the parenthetical part of the definition of ##F## means ##B\subset C## but we are not allowed to use ##\subset##. I do not know how to express implication with only union, intersection, and set minus without the side relation ##B\cap C = B\Leftrightarrow B\subset C##. This is using the correct symbols but I think he wants a single relation. The “and” part is intersection of A with B but this doesn’t convey that B is a subset of C. This is going to be simple I bet.

I wish this text had at least odd numbered answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Given two logical formulas ##p## and ##q##, we have

$$(p \implies q) \equiv (\neg p \lor q)$$

Check with a truth table if you don't know this.

Then you can use De Morgan's laws.

Thanks, apparently during the 20 years since I took logic, I’ve forgotten a few things. Lol

Ok, so I get $$F=\left\{ x | x \in A \wedge ( x \not\in B \lor x \in C ) \right\} = A\cap C$$ but I didn’t use DeMorgan’s Laws, I just drew a picture. I figure picture drawing with only work for “student problems” though, so I need to learn to do this symbolically. I suppose I’ll need to call the universe ##X## so I can deal with the ##x \not\in B## part, so that $$F = A\cap [ ( X - B ) \cup C ]$$ and I don’t see how to manipulate this into the form of DeMorgan’s Law which would require the union or intersection of two differences of sets within the square brackets.

Note: I’m just hoping my TeX processes correctly bc for some reason the preview isn’t displaying the symbols on my phone, just the code.

benorin said:
$$F = A\cap [ ( X - B ) \cup C ]$$

Strictly speaking that's already correct. You can use De Morgan to get an equivalent expression but that's not really necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes benorin
benorin said:
Ok, so I get $$F=\left\{ x | x \in A \wedge ( x \not\in B \lor x \in C ) \right\} = A\cap C$$ but I didn’t use DeMorgan’s Laws, I just drew a picture.
What if ##x## is in ##A## but not in ##B## and also not in ##C##?

Likes benorin
TeethWhitener said:
What if ##x## is in ##A## but not in ##B## and also not in ##C##?
Oh thanks, missed that region! It should be ##F=\left\{ x | x \in A \wedge ( x \not\in B \lor x \in C ) \right\} = (A\cap C)\cup (A-B)##. You guys are awesome! Always giving the right amount of help and not just solving the problem for me. I'm taking mental notes on how to teach from you guys, it's been years since I tutored or taught and working here is bringing things back for me.

• Love
Likes TeethWhitener and member 587159
My pleasure! One other thing I will point out that might make your life a little easier when dealing with these types of questions:
##\wedge## and ##\cap## both point up.
##\vee## and ##\cup## both point down.

Likes member 587159
If it makes you feel any better, I am a professional mathematician, and I barely could do this, even after some time, and it does not bother me one whit, since doing this is totally unrelated to doing math. When I write a math paper I do not try to make it hard for people to understand what I am saying by using symbols when words would be clearer. Still if you enjoy this sort of game, that's great.

• Skeptical
Likes member 587159
mathwonk said:
If it makes you feel any better, I am a professional mathematician, and I barely could do this, even after some time, and it does not bother me one whit, since doing this is totally unrelated to doing math. When I write a math paper I do not try to make it hard for people to understand what I am saying by using symbols when words would be clearer. Still if you enjoy this sort of game, that's great.

With all the respect, but I don't buy that a professional mathematician can't do that. Surely you must be able to do set manipulation? I.e. De Morgan's laws etc.

Forgive me, I am getting old and dull. This is indeed a puzzle I would have enjoyed as a young man.

Math_QED said:
Given two logical formulas ##p## and ##q##, we have

$$(p \implies q) \equiv (\neg p \lor q)$$

I find the equivalent statement
$$ \neg \left( p \implies q \right) \equiv \left( p \land \neg q \right) $$
to be more "intuitive".

George Jones said:
I find the equivalent statement
$$ \neg \left( p \implies q \right) \equiv \left( p \land \neg q \right) $$
to be more "intuitive".

I agree, it is not what the OP needed though, but it's how I 'remember' it as well. I simply took the negation of it.

1. What is the definition of a subset?

A subset is a set that contains elements that are all also elements of another set. In other words, every element in a subset is also contained in the larger set.

2. How is a subset denoted?

A subset is denoted by the symbol ⊆, which means "is a subset of". For example, if set A is a subset of set B, it would be written as A ⊆ B.

3. What is the difference between a proper subset and an improper subset?

A proper subset is a subset that contains at least one element that is not in the larger set. An improper subset, on the other hand, contains all the elements of the larger set. In other words, an improper subset is equal to the larger set, while a proper subset is a subset of the larger set.

4. Can a set be a subset of itself?

Yes, a set can be a subset of itself. This is known as the reflexive property of subsets. For example, the set {1, 2, 3} is a subset of itself because all the elements in the set are also contained in the larger set.

5. How do you determine if a set is a subset of another set?

To determine if a set is a subset of another set, you must check if all the elements in the first set are also elements of the second set. If this is true, then the first set is a subset of the second set. If even one element is not in the second set, then the first set is not a subset of the second set.